Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 vs other years and GT vs Turbo lite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2010, 08:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 vs other years and GT vs Turbo lite

I recently bought a GT Convertible with the High Output badge.

After purchase I found during an oil change the engine has a sticker from a salvage yard on it. The salvage is LKQ and they do pull out engines/used engines etc. Oh no, I am now questioning whether my GT is a GT engine block or just has all the GT parts bolted on a 180HP block.

Does this matter? I am fixing all the install problems like a couple of misrouted vaccum hoses and wiring harnesses damaged but am I pushing 230 HP through a block not designed for it. I don't know?

Can anyone offer any insight into the 2006 High Output Question. I have read the 2006 model had some special improvements for the GT High Output version in the Crank and the Piston cooling area.

Are the cams the same?

My concern leads me to want to get another used 2006 GT engine that is verified as such and inspect it and place the proper engine in the car if I have the wrong one.

My Block serial numbers are 04781838AA (casting) and P05047618AA (valve cover) TNXE6174600203 also appears there.

Any hot shot PT pros want to take a stab at this.
Old 08 Aug 2010, 10:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 vs other years and GT vs Turbo lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelltu View Post
I recently bought a GT Convertible with the High Output badge.

After purchase I found during an oil change the engine has a sticker from a salvage yard on it. The salvage is LKQ and they do pull out engines/used engines etc. Oh no, I am now questioning whether my GT is a GT engine block or just has all the GT parts bolted on a 180HP block.

Does this matter? I am fixing all the install problems like a couple of misrouted vaccum hoses and wiring harnesses damaged but am I pushing 230 HP through a block not designed for it. I don't know?

Can anyone offer any insight into the 2006 High Output Question. I have read the 2006 model had some special improvements for the GT High Output version in the Crank and the Piston cooling area.

Are the cams the same?

My concern leads me to want to get another used 2006 GT engine that is verified as such and inspect it and place the proper engine in the car if I have the wrong one.

My Block serial numbers are 04781838AA (casting) and P05047618AA (valve cover) TNXE6174600203 also appears there.

Any hot shot PT pros want to take a stab at this.

hakuna matata brother,

the lite (180hp) and GT (230hp) engine is EXACTLY the same. the difference is in the PCM programing. your internals, block and head are good to 500whp/500wtq... same as te Nsrt-4

Josh
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 09 Aug 2010, 11:56 am
Cool Cruiser

X-2 the Lite and GT is the same engine just a lil detuned. your gonna be ok.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 09 Aug 2010, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sweeet!!!!! Thank you for the fast and positive reply.

Nevin... Nice Car..

I am ready for some upgrades.

What suspension items do you suggest.

What should I do to the stock engine etc to get a little extra without so many serious upgrades?
Old 09 Aug 2010, 02:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The '06 got the plastic intake (actually, started in the '05 model year - mine has it) - that's it for differences.
As others said - internals of all turbo engines are the same, and have not changed since '03.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Aug 2010, 04:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Nevin... Nice Car..

I am ready for some upgrades.

What suspension items do you suggest.

What should I do to the stock engine etc to get a little extra without so many serious upgrades?
alot of parts from the SRT-4 will fit your PT

what i suggest is a front sway bar. you can find the "the welfare sway bar" Mopar 26mm front sway bar for about $50. its also good if you get new bushings with it. if you cant find that there is always the Eibach front swaybar its a hollow 24mm vs the solid stock 24mm, also the front endlinks. then the rear swaybar which you can find for about $100, it will take alot of that heavy roll that you feel when taking a corner into a parking lot. what helps alot too is a strut bar. look on ebay for one. the one piece strut bar i have costed me $30. those alone will make your PT handle very nicely.

Nevin.

3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 09 Aug 2010, 04:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
also the cheapest and best thing you can do is boost leak test. go to home depo or lowes and find a 2" plumming cap. go to autozone or pepboys and get a valve stem and a boost gauge.

install the boost gauge in the cabin.

poke a hole in the center of the cap and insert the valve stem and attach the cap to the turbo inlet and fill the system with air via air compressor or air tank.

listen for air leaks and use soapy water in a squirt bottle and where you find leaks use some zip ties around the vacume lines to seal the leaks, if on the charge pipes tighen the worm grove clamps, if it still leaks go to napa and buy some T-bolt clamps, you want the gauge to hold a steady 15-20 psi of pressure since the car runs at 15 stock and give you room to up the boost in the future.

Nevin.

Old 09 Aug 2010, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok. I was looking at the strut bar and some swaybar options thanks.
I was also considering some Eibach springs to lower ride height a bit.

The leak test is a simple job thanks. How are you liking your solid intercooler piping. Source? does it have any problems.

I was just imagining my stock rubber pipe ballooning up at 15psi boost and contributing to lag. I guess its got that nylon wrap around it to keep it rubbing on stuff. Does your's rattle against the battery or anything.
Old 09 Aug 2010, 06:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Ok. I was looking at the strut bar and some swaybar options thanks.
I was also considering some Eibach springs to lower ride height a bit.

The leak test is a simple job thanks. How are you liking your solid intercooler piping. Source? does it have any problems.

I was just imagining my stock rubber pipe ballooning up at 15psi boost and contributing to lag. I guess its got that nylon wrap around it to keep it rubbing on stuff. Does your's rattle against the battery or anything.
piping can be found at Needswings.com

also no problems with it rubbing on anything.
and 15 psi wont balloon as much as you think on the cold side. its the hot side that will balloon up trying to force its way through the tiny stock IC we have.

Nevin.

Old 10 Aug 2010, 09:01 am
Cool Cruiser

nevin is an autox guy. while he has given you great advice, it mainly for driving around cones in parking lots (its ok, we have a special kind of love)

when your ready to leave the parking lot we can help with that too.

Josh
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...