Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
opps> wrong gas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 2003, 10:58 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default opps> wrong gas

I guess I was half asleep this morning (5.30 am) when I filled up my tank. as I finished pumping the gas, I noticed how cheap the total was..hmmm I said, did the price go down that much? OH NO, I PUT IN REGULAR! I was[xx(] &*%^#$%& (mad) After using only premuim octane now I had a full tank of regular. (87 Oc)I was surpised though I didn't notice any performance difference when I drove. has anyone done this? would like to hear what grade fuel you use in your turbo. and if you notice any difference in fuel grade. Thanks Gary
Old 12 Nov 2003, 11:16 am
Cool Cruiser

I usually dont let the tank go below half way before I fill up again.
And in cooler weather I top off with the good stuff and next time top off with the cheap stuff and back and forth like that. Most people have the misconception that if a car runs good on reg. then premo will be better. But cars today and the putors work well together and if you owners man. says the car only needs the lower octane then that is what you should run, you can cause problems running the good stuff in a car that only needs reg.. One little carbon deposit and it it ping city.
Sorry.[8D]
You should be ok, just top out when you can with the good stuff. I dont need to tell you the differance between the regular cars and Turbo and Blown type engines.
03 Steel Blue Pearl Turbo, Stage 1, Mopar BOV, Magnaflow performance muffler, My Air Box mod., AMXpipe W/K&N filter, LED lighting,PT Tunning rear lowering springs & BGT Strut tower brace, Hankooks Ventus tires, Rage Motif 17 in. wheels. Tribal pinstrips by Palmer (who else), Color match paint by Etouchup.com, Plugs and wires by Sparkplugs.com, http://members.cardomain.com/rodrungtpt
Old 12 Nov 2003, 02:11 pm
Young Cruiser

I tried both types of gas and hand timed the car from 20-80 mph. The measured performance difference from three runs each was around 10%. Plus I got worse gas mileage but not 10%.

However Mr. RodRun is correct, if a car is set up for reg then prem won't make any difference. The GT is set up for Prem so it does make a difference.

There is a ping sensor that tells the computer to lower the boost or retard the timing as the case may warrant resulting in lower performance. You'll never hear your car ping because the computer won't allow it. However if you run most of the time in circumstances where there is no ping problem then you won'e se a difference.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 03:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Why do you not let your tank go below half? Seems you will get worse fuel mileage to me?!
LIP
Old 12 Nov 2003, 03:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lip

Why do you not let your tank go below half? Seems you will get worse fuel mileage to me?!
LIP
I don't want to cause a 'ruckus' here, but how does filling when you have half a tank effect fuel mileage?

Larry
Old 12 Nov 2003, 03:39 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Larry

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lip

LIP
I don't want to cause a 'ruckus' here, but how does filling when you have half a tank effect fuel mileage?

Larry
I was wondering the same thing.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki
Old 12 Nov 2003, 04:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think by "mileage" he means how many miles you can travel before fill-up. Not fuel economy, which is MPG.

Filling up at half a tank will not affect MPG, but will impact how many miles you can go until you fill up again.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 06:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Or maybe it's the extra weight of the fuel?

BTW I use 94 oct always.

Old 12 Nov 2003, 06:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

As a Canadian we are taught on the first day of Driving School never to let our tanks go below half. We only have two Seasons in Canada. Winter and Construction.....

Either one of these can and will cause a nasty traffic problem and you will be glad you had that extra gas.[8)]

--------
2003 Silver GT
PT Cruiser 3rd Brk cling, APC GEN2 Eurotails. BTG Intake. StreetGlow Gold Series underglow kit \"Green\". BTG Strut tower Brace.
Old 12 Nov 2003, 07:36 pm
Young Cruiser

During cold weather there is the possibility of condensation from the air allowing water in the gas tank. This would be more likely as the tank empties (more air).