PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Looking for a GT.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2010, 12:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Looking for a GT.

Hi,

New to the forums and on the hunt for a GT. I'm looking for my first PT and what will also be my first vehicle with a Turbo. Close by there is an '03 GT with 97k at a small dealer for $5500 and another owner selling his '03 GT with 141k for $3500. Both are very, very similar with amenities but neither knows when/if the timing belts have been changed. I plan on driving them both in the next day or two, but any advice on which to start with and what to look for as far as issues? I'm a big consumer reports guy too and they did not rate the '03 year very highly according to the website...that makes me a little nervous too. Thanks and I'm in the Puget Sound area of Washington if that matters.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 01:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Looking for a GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentegg View Post
Hi,

New to the forums and on the hunt for a GT. I'm looking for my first PT and what will also be my first vehicle with a Turbo. Close by there is an '03 GT with 97k at a small dealer for $5500 and another owner selling his '03 GT with 141k for $3500. Both are very, very similar with amenities but neither knows when/if the timing belts have been changed. I plan on driving them both in the next day or two, but any advice on which to start with and what to look for as far as issues? I'm a big consumer reports guy too and they did not rate the '03 year very highly according to the website...that makes me a little nervous too. Thanks and I'm in the Puget Sound area of Washington if that matters.
if they dont know then it was never changed and that would be on thing to consider how much it cost for a new pump and timming belt. Modern performance sells a kit just look in the NSRT-4 section. also if you going to be paying someone to change it out or if your gonna be doing it your self. also listen for any out of the ordinary sounds and question everything. if possible take it to or have someone who knows some machanics take a look at it for you to make sure everything is fine.

on thing to look for is if it feels like your getting sucked into your seat then its probally good. every stock turbo will feel slugish or not pull as hard when you are 5.5k to redline due to the small size of the stocker so expect that. Your reading of the 03 is because the 03 GT/HO is at 215 vs the 04-05 230 and thats just because of injectors and some stock PCM tuning. which can be easily upgraded via DSP or S1 with injectors to match.

good luck the PT will make a great first car for you!!

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 24 Aug 2010, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. The HP difference isn't my concern between the year models but that consumer reports rated the major/minor engine and transmission problems to be pretty significant. The new models were rated highly on reliability, but older ones...not so much. Both asking prices seemed to be in line or just under the kbb.com values, so that is good I guess.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 03:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the info. The HP difference isn't my concern between the year models but that consumer reports rated the major/minor engine and transmission problems to be pretty significant. The new models were rated highly on reliability, but older ones...not so much. Both asking prices seemed to be in line or just under the kbb.com values, so that is good I guess.
the problems their talking about is probally users adding regular oil instead of synthetic oil and having turbo failure because of it. (a common problem caused by human error)

Nevin.

3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 24 Aug 2010, 03:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Good to know, human error sucks. If the car has used regular oil consistently in the past will there be any negative effects switching it to synthetic with close to or over 100k on the motor?
Old 24 Aug 2010, 06:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Nope, but both of those PT's will need timing belts and water pumps and the cost runs between 800-1200 so be ready it's a lot of labor. Chrysler says to do it at 120k but most do it at around 100k

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 24 Aug 2010, 07:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That is good to hear about the oil. For reason I thought I read that if you switched to synthetic after using regular that it could leak through some of the engine gaskets and you'd have to replace them. There is a chance then that the one PT with 141k could've had its timing belt and water pump already changed...
Old 25 Aug 2010, 06:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
That is good to hear about the oil. For reason I thought I read that if you switched to synthetic after using regular that it could leak through some of the engine gaskets and you'd have to replace them. There is a chance then that the one PT with 141k could've had its timing belt and water pump already changed...
It is true that if you have an old car with sludge buildup, it could leak after a switch to synthetic, because the synthetic cleans up the sludge and that sludge may have blocked some leaks....
happened more on older cars

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Aug 2010, 12:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
if the person didnt know then it wasnt done. dont go by there unsure judgement. just automaticly asume it wasnt done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
It is true that if you have an old car with sludge buildup, it could leak after a switch to synthetic, because the synthetic cleans up the sludge and that sludge may have blocked some leaks....
happened more on older cars
X-2 with older cars synthetic cleans out sludge and can cause leaks that were hiden by sludge.

Nevin.

Old 25 Aug 2010, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Test drive from hell...

I just drove the 2003 GT w/ 97k on it asking $5500...wow, it just reconfirmed my dislike for small, non-branded dealer. The exterior looked good, nice paint, just a few small scratches, nice chrome accents, good tires, etc. Interior was loaded, all worked, and was nice. Turn of the key, it wouldn't start. Had to jump it, let it warm up for a few minutes then out I went. I came to a stop light in less than 1/2 a mile and it died. Started right up again went another 1/4 mile, died again. I was able to steer it off the road, started it right up again, put it in reverse died again. Started up again, drove back to "dealer" died again as I was parking it. After wards the fog light/headlight switch seemed to stick and the fog lights would not turn off. Oh, did i mention the transmission warning light was on the whole time....

The sales dude also said that the turbo was new. I asked why it was replaced and he said, "most people don't know but if you own a turbo you need to let it cool down before you turn the car off." Is there any validity to that statement? There was also a small, brown liquid puddle on the pavement under the car. Salesman unsure of timing belt change but said if I bought they would change it. I only had it up to 45/50 mph, the tach stayed right around 4k, seemed rather high to me, is that normal?

On the plus side, this being the first car i've driven with a turbo, it was rad!

Hopefully the other 2003 w/ 141k is better...

Any advice again would be appreciated. Thanks.