Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Changing battery in '06 GT Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2010, 06:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Wink Changing battery in '06 GT Turbo

I have a feeling that the original battery will give up soon in our '06 GT.
I have heard numerous stories over the years as to how to best change out the battery in these: Can someone please set me straight so I can be ready when the time comes-(I'll print it out & put it in my file on the PT. Thanks!

Also, What are some recomendations on a replacement battery? I was thinking about an Optima, but have heard recently that they moved their manufacturing to China and I'm not a real fan of stuff that comes from China because of all the crap parts they reproduce over there for my '65 Mustang.
Old 28 Aug 2010, 11:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Cool Re: Changing battery in '06 GT Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzinGT View Post
I have a feeling that the original battery will give up soon in our '06 GT.
I have heard numerous stories over the years as to how to best change out the battery in these: Can someone please set me straight so I can be ready when the time comes-(I'll print it out & put it in my file on the PT. Thanks!

Also, What are some recomendations on a replacement battery? I was thinking about an Optima, but have heard recently that they moved their manufacturing to China and I'm not a real fan of stuff that comes from China because of all the crap parts they reproduce over there for my '65 Mustang.
Hey Cruzin GT, I recently replaced the battery in my 06 GT. I heard alot of stories on how hard it was but if you have any mechanical ability at all it's a breeze. First, provided everything is factory, you need to loosen the screw that attaches the air intake at the flex. Loosen completly but not enough to lose the screw. Now un hook the 2 latches on the air box (houses the air filter) lift and slightly pull and twist to disingage air box cover and hose from the flex(were the screw you loosened is located). set aside. remove air filter, set aside. (good time to see if it needs replaced.) Now the air box under the filter, grasp both sides and with steady lifting pressure rock it back and forth and lift, it is only held in by pressure pins. set the box aside. You now have access to the battery. remove the cables then the hold down strap. The battery may have an insulated wrap on it. If it does save it as it has to go on the new battery. Make sure it is the correct replacement as size matters. I went with the autozone red top battery as I did research and this one had the best reviews. Keep in mind the posts on any new battery are a bit smaller than the old ones. No major thing just expect it. Clean the area as you have it exposed and work in reverse order to replace. Connect positive cable first then negative. Hope this helps.......
Old 29 Aug 2010, 05:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: Changing battery in '06 GT Turbo

War-Eagle great info!!!! This is perfect, it will really help me when the time comes-which I have a feeling will be soon.
BTW: I see you are on Florida's East coast.......I'm in Palm Bay myself, we bought our '06 GT in Bright Silver at Gator Chrysler in melbourne on April 29, 2007-it was kind of a "leftover" that had been bought by Gator from a presumed defunct dealer elsewhere-it had 13 miles on it then and just 29k now-all stock.
Old 29 Aug 2010, 01:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Changing battery in '06 GT Turbo

Small world, I got mine from Gator as well. Yea when the battery goes it doesn't give any warning, it just quits....I'm up in Titusville
Old 30 Aug 2010, 04:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Wink Re: Changing battery in '06 GT Turbo

Does yours have the tan interior? when did you purchase? did you see the window sticker? was it delivered to gator originally?-ours wasn't-it had been delivered elsewhere then Gator bought it-we didn't get/see the original sticker because of this.
There was an '06 Black GT with Tan interior right beside ours (Silver) on the lot area east of the building they also had a couple convertibles from the same source-wonder if yours was "the" Black one we saw-we bought ours on April 29, 2007.
BTWo you know that Gator has taken over the old Sunshine Dodge place and now has Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep-Osman lost the Jeep franchise.
I have a friend who has a T&C mini van and is not happy at all with Gator's service department-our PT has never been in there-yet!
Old 08 Sep 2010, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello, I noticed your conversation and wanted to offer some assistance. We manufacture all of our own batteries in our own facility and they are the only batteries produced there. We never re-brand or re-spec our batteries for anyone and although we sell batteries in China, we do not produce any there. You can view a video of our facility here- OPTIMA Plant Video

Unfortunately, there are more than 60 different 12-volt battery sizes and we do not offer what we consider "direct-fit" replacements for each of them. However, many of our customers have been able to use our batteries in applications that we consider "custom fitments."

This chart offers the BCI measurements of all the different battery groups- BCI Battery Group Size Chart
The measurements of our RedTops can be found here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...dtop/specs.php
The measurements of our YellowTops can be found here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...wtop/specs.php

It's possible that one of our batteries may be able to fit your application, with relatively minor modifications. Any custom application should consider these guidelines-

Hood Clearance There should be at least clearance between the top of the battery terminals and the underside of the hood. When we do our fitment studies we put a ball of clay on top of the post, and VERY carefully close the hood to make sure that nothing makes contact. By measuring how much the clay is squeezed down when the hood is closed, we can know how much hood clearance we have.
Trunk/Interior Mounting If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk, the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.
Side Terminals Optima 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals can not come into contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short.We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using.
Battery Modifications Cutting, drilling, trimming or otherwise modifying your Optima battery may present a safety hazard and will void the warranty.
Mounting Your Optima battery must be securely mounted. The terminals are not intended to be used to secure the battery. Using the terminals in this way will damage the battery and void your warranty.
Heat Protect your battery from high heat, such as turbochargers or exhaust manifolds

If you have any other battery-related questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
Optima Batteries | Facebook
Old 08 Sep 2010, 06:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzinGT View Post
Does yours have the tan interior? when did you purchase? did you see the window sticker? was it delivered to gator originally?-ours wasn't-it had been delivered elsewhere then Gator bought it-we didn't get/see the original sticker because of this.
There was an '06 Black GT with Tan interior right beside ours (Silver) on the lot area east of the building they also had a couple convertibles from the same source-wonder if yours was "the" Black one we saw-we bought ours on April 29, 2007.
BTWo you know that Gator has taken over the old Sunshine Dodge place and now has Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep-Osman lost the Jeep franchise.
I have a friend who has a T&C mini van and is not happy at all with Gator's service department-our PT has never been in there-yet!
That is the one we bought. We got in in early may 07. Damn it's a small world.