Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo Tranny questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2010, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turbo Tranny questions

I recently picked up an 04 Limited Platinum Edition Cruiser, (180HP Turbo, AKA TurboLite))
From reading threads on this forum, (very informative BTW, thanks to all posters), I gather the auto trans in mine may not have the best life expectancy dependant upon driving habits etc. One comment made was it's called a Cruiser, not a Racer. Another comment was to avoid boosting in 4th (Overdrive).
Well I work in Duluth, MN. and there are nasty hills everywhere you go around here, you always seem to be going uphill. Combined with speed limits that are just fast enough to get the tranny to shift into overdrive.
I know that as we cruise along on level ground the turbo is not really boosting but as you start climbing a hill, the engine starts to work a little harder and the turbo starts boosting. So if I'm in cruise running along and come to a hill how long will the tranny stay in overdrive before it kicks down, or will the lock-up torque converter release? Will it try to hold everything long enough to be considered a damaging load on the transmission? Would I be better off running around in drive (3) on the shifter? Will this cause any problems? I personally can't think of any as a lot of pick-ups with automatics used to recomend not using overdrive when towing/hauling.
I puchase my Cruiser with 81K on the the odometer and one of the first things I did was have tranny fluid and filter changed and flushed, the fluid that was in it was no longer pink, but did not smell bad.
Thanks in advance for advice.

LooseNut
Old 01 Sep 2010, 01:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo Tranny questions

Turbo boost is directly related to RPM - as long as you don't punch the pedal in 4th you'll be fine.
My turbo lite is at 91,000 miles.
(all turbo lites are automatics).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Sep 2010, 06:50 pm
Banned

Please go to the thread just above this one titled "I want to increase torque". Go to the 2nd page and read the (my) first post at the top of the page. I quoted it directly from your drivers manual. There's a lot of "good stuff" in there.

Jerry
Old 02 Sep 2010, 07:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks wwpptc,
That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

"I quote -- "when frequent transaxle shifting occurs while using the OVERDRIVE RANGE, such as when operating the vehicle under heavey loading conditions (in hilly terrain, traveling into strong headwinds, or while towing trailers), use the "3" range.

"3" Drive
This range eliminates shifts into overdrive. The transaxle will operate normally in first and second while in this range.

Note: Using the "3" range while operating the vehicle under heavey operating conditions will improve performance, fuel economy and extend transaxle life by reducing excessive shifting and heat buildup. -- end quote."

This is one the best forums I have belonged to for getting good useful info.

LooseNut

Last edited by LooseNut; 02 Sep 2010 at 07:57 am.