Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Member with Many Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2010, 03:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default New Member with Many Questions

Hi all, I had to sell my Chevy HHR SS due to the economy...I had a stage 1 kit on it which brought it up 290 HP...My money is tighter now so I am looking at getting a turbo GT cruiser....Been doing a bit of searching to learn more....The older turbos look like they make 180 hp but there is a mod to step em' up...to over 220 hp? 06 and up start at 220 hp or so...what mods can you do to the newer one to up there hp? would like to get 300 hp if possible without spending a ton of cash...also what is turbo light? Any particular years better than others? Which style is more popular, the early or 06 and up models? Thanks for answering my dumb noobie questions...Al
Old 07 Sep 2010, 03:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: New Member with Many Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts View Post
Hi all, I had to sell my Chevy HHR SS due to the economy...I had a stage 1 kit on it which brought it up 290 HP...My money is tighter now so I am looking at getting a turbo GT cruiser....Been doing a bit of searching to learn more....The older turbos look like they make 180 hp but there is a mod to step em' up...to over 220 hp? 06 and up start at 220 hp or so...what mods can you do to the newer one to up there hp? would like to get 300 hp if possible without spending a ton of cash...also what is turbo light? Any particular years better than others? Which style is more popular, the early or 06 and up models? Thanks for answering my dumb noobie questions...Al
Welcome to the site Al.
to answer your question the motor and turbo in all are the same the only difference is the transmission.

the auto come in a 4 speed and the GTs have the Autosick option. the 5 speed is the best way to go. with the Auto you cant really boost in 4th because the transmission is the weak link.

the differnet trims are the 180hp (turbo lites) they just have the 2.4L turbo or 2.4T on the right side rear hatch. the GT/HO (high output) is a 215hp in 2003 and in 2004-05 is 220 and 05 up is 230. the reason for the diffenence in the mid 05 and lower is they have an aluminum manifold while mid 05 and up have a composite manifold. now you can get any lower model and beef it up, most of the stuff you can purchase for the PT turbo using Neon SRT-4 parts. some other stuff is directly for the PT. so its just basicly how deep your pockets are and what your wanting to accomplish with your new car.

one last thing if your wanting to shoot for over 300hp your not gonna beable to accomplish that with the stock turbo. its just too damm small compared to the twin scroll in the HHR. you'll need to upgrade to a differnet turbo.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge

Last edited by nevinsrt; 07 Sep 2010 at 03:58 pm.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 05:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Nevin, What does the stage 1 kit do for each of the different HP motors? what does it consist of? I had 295 HP in my HHR but it was an auto. So maybe a 250 HP GT would be close with a stick??? What other mods can you add without going to a new turbo to boost HP higher? Thanks....Al
Old 07 Sep 2010, 05:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks Nevin, What does the stage 1 kit do for each of the different HP motors? what does it consist of? I had 295 HP in my HHR but it was an auto. So maybe a 250 HP GT would be close with a stick??? What other mods can you add without going to a new turbo to boost HP higher? Thanks....Al
a stage 1 kit will make any turbo light and GT level across the board at about 240ish hp and is the building block for other mods, and is composed of a new flashed PCM which for autos will make more firmer shift points for a manual will help with WOT shifts (hold boost for no lag shifts) the 2003 turbo lites and GTs will come with upgraded injectors black with blue tips which are rated at 577cc the 2004s and up will already come with the upgraded injectors and will just come with a flashed PCM. but for the manuals i would just say jump to a DSP then buy the injectors from any SRT forum site or ebay for about $40-60. DiabloSport :: Gas and Diesel Tuning Systems

as far as other mods you can do almost anything that an Neon SRT-4 has available except intercooler, intake, cat back (unless its side exit), upper charge pipe, back half suspention, front strut bar, clutch. the rest is the same ie. downpipe, O2, WGA, brakes, MMs, ect.

Nevin.

3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge

Last edited by nevinsrt; 07 Sep 2010 at 05:26 pm.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 05:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, so what it sounds like the engines through the years are similar, but the tune is heartier on the newer models? Al
Old 08 Sep 2010, 06:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks, so what it sounds like the engines through the years are similar, but the tune is heartier on the newer models? Al
All turbo engines are the same.
Differences are the larger injectors for 2004 on up, and a running change in '05 was a plastic intake which flows much better and brought GTs up to 230 HP. Some early '05 turbos came with the aluminum intake.
The plastic (or composite) Intake can be bolted on to earlier turbos.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Sep 2010, 07:33 am
Cool Cruiser

So Don what it sounds like is the 05 and up already have a hotter pcm similar to the stage 1? Can anyone list the HP numbers for the individual years? Thanks....Al
Old 08 Sep 2010, 09:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
So Don what it sounds like is the 05 and up already have a hotter pcm similar to the stage 1? Can anyone list the HP numbers for the individual years? Thanks....Al
I already did that in post #2 Al. all your questions have been answered. it doesnt matter what model you buy if you buy a stage 1 for the turbo lite(180hp) it will make 240hp and if you bought a stage 1 for a GT/HO(230hp) it will make it 240hp.

the new manifold will fit on all years.

Nevin.

Last edited by nevinsrt; 08 Sep 2010 at 09:30 am.
Old 08 Sep 2010, 10:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Gotcha, So the earlier models have the most to gain from the stage 1...with 03 needing new injectors as well...04 and up already have them...How much drivetrain loss to an auto compared to a stick? what is the cosensus on the newer body style compared to the original? thanks again...Al
Old 08 Sep 2010, 10:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

well im not a turbo guy but as far as the body change there really wasnt one the headlights and some little changes the body parts will fit form a 01 to a 10 some may be a tad diffrent btu im pretty sure they will all fit