Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fuel Milage Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2010, 02:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Fuel Milage Issues

I dont know why but my 05 PT/GT is getting horrible gas milage. I have read where I should be getting 22mpg in the city and 26 on the highway. I live in a big city where all i do is highway driving. Im still lucky to get 21-22 on the highway. I put iridum plugs in it and tried to go with a intake but it didnt help. It didnt get worse either. Any suggestions
Old 09 Sep 2010, 02:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to kingofyo1 Send a message via MSN to kingofyo1 Send a message via Yahoo to kingofyo1 Send a message via Skype™ to kingofyo1
Default Re: Fuel Milage Issues

did you also remember to change the plug wires when you did the plugs? thats a big failure point on PT cruisers, the wires. also, which intake did you get? you could have stuck with teh stock box and a KN filter/airbox mod
Old 09 Sep 2010, 03:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Also check your air pressure in your tires, 1 or 2 # over won't hurt.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Sep 2010, 03:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

yes a few psi over on the tires will help improve fuel milage and also unless you drive like a grandma its hard to get good milage out of a turbo we love that power to much and that hurts fuel economy. my wife averages 17-20 and when i drive i get 20-24. your foot plays a part too.

but if your wanting to make the best of what you got id say boost leak test.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 12 Sep 2010, 09:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Ok when you say airbox mod whats that. Also how do I do a boost leak test. I did not change the wires so I guess ill do that next.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 05:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to kingofyo1 Send a message via MSN to kingofyo1 Send a message via Yahoo to kingofyo1 Send a message via Skype™ to kingofyo1

when i say air box mod, that means i replaced the filter with a KN and cut about 3 inches off the snorkel inside the air box, and pulled out the white "donut" on the top half of the air box. for a boost leak test, check on ptcrew on the mod bible section, that should help a ton. they've got alot of good pointers on there, as well as directions for the air box mod according to vehicle year
Old 13 Sep 2010, 09:35 am
Regular Cruiser

ok im gonna do the cutting of the snorkel and get rid of that white thing and replace the filter. I did last night put some Bosch Ultra plug wires on it. Hope they are better then the factory.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 09:41 am
Cool Cruiser

anything is better then stock wires.

for the snorkle just completely remove it. no need hacking at something thats still restricting air, just get rid of it.

Nevin.

3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 13 Sep 2010, 09:50 am
Regular Cruiser

what about that white thing, what the hell does that thing do
and how do you get it off
Old 13 Sep 2010, 10:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan1976 View Post
what about that white thing, what the hell does that thing do
and how do you get it off
to get the white thing off you gotta pull off the top of the air box and use a screwdriver, plyers, or your hand to wedge it out of place then pull it out. the only purpose of that this is to reduce intake noise. as well as the snorkle.

Nevin.