Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problems with my 2004 turbo limited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2010, 12:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problems with my 2004 turbo limited

I have a 2004 pt cruiser limited turbo touring edition, which by the way they dont make to many parts for... very iritating, and now ive got 62,251 miles on her, shes cobalt blue, and just poped up another error code for me to deal with,,, though this one says its a shop requirent. Error codes p0801, open or short condition detected in transaxle reverse gear lock-out solenoid control unit, and the second one is p0700 transaxle control system malfunction. The car drove fine until we were almost home then, wouldnt shift past 1st gear, i pulled over and turned off the engine let it sit for 2 minits then started again shifted to drive, and it went just fine, the book Haynes repair manual says in the trouble shooting page it must be taken to a licenced auto tech. please help me, look at my low miles its got to be somthign easy... powertrain control module? it doesnt have the transmission contrl module, so i dont know?
Old 19 Sep 2010, 01:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Problems with my 2004 turbo limited

Wherever you got the information about the "shop requirement" is on the right track. P0700 is a general code for the transaxle and has to be further diagnosed. A scanner from the dealer could possibly pinpoint the problem.

2004 pt cruiser limited turbo touring edition.

I'm not sure why you started off by saying "which by the way they don't make many parts for" because yours is no different than thousands of others that rolled off the assembly line. 2004 turbo's, limited edition and touring edition are completely common as far as the availability of parts go. Even if you had a Dream Cruiser, which are rare, the parts are still the same as all the others.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

the reason that i started it with the parts thing is, I changed out my hubs, rotors, and brakes but in the process i accidentaly damaged the boot on my passenger side cv axle, I looked everywhere for a new cv half shaft becasue for some reason, napa, shucks, orieley, autozone, none of the major stores had the part or couldnt even order it. for some strange reason my cv axel has two portions to it, i dont know if this is comon or what but yeah. and now i took the car to aamco yesterday and they claim its two things wrong with the tranny not just one, so they are going to replace them both and if it doesnt work then its probably the computer that needs replaced... very frustraiting, since i dont have the 500 to through away, just to find out it wasnt the real problem... codes were p0700 and p0803 .
Old 21 Sep 2010, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are some parts of the cruiser that aren't compatible with other cars and are dealer only parts. That's why none of the aftermarket parts stores don't carry them. Not that yours is so different. Your part(s) will be the same as other PT Touring or Turbos so those owners would have the same problems.

I said before P0700 is just a generic code for the transaxle and further diagnostics would be needed with a scanner to pinpoint the problem. You chose to take it to AAMCO but if it's possible, get another opinion. Someone saying they are going to throw some parts at it and if it doesn't work it would mean it's the computer doesn't show a lot of confidence in their diagnostics. Is AAMCO going to disregard the price of the 2 parts if it turns out that they aren't the problem? I would think not.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 10:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackedmonk View Post
the reason that i started it with the parts thing is, I changed out my hubs, rotors, and brakes but in the process i accidentaly damaged the boot on my passenger side cv axle, I looked everywhere for a new cv half shaft becasue for some reason, napa, shucks, orieley, autozone, none of the major stores had the part or couldnt even order it. for some strange reason my cv axel has two portions to it, i dont know if this is comon or what but yeah. and now i took the car to aamco yesterday and they claim its two things wrong with the tranny not just one, so they are going to replace them both and if it doesnt work then its probably the computer that needs replaced... very frustraiting, since i dont have the 500 to through away, just to find out it wasnt the real problem... codes were p0700 and p0803 .
I don't have an automatic but a bad solenoid pack is a common issure. Go over to PTCREW.COM and relate your issue. Many have just replaced this part and resolved your problem. It could also be that the trans is going, going or gone. The ATX is a weak link in the PT.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come