Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Good Idea/Bad Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2010, 08:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Good Idea/Bad Idea

I have an 05 pt gt auto trans. I will be getting a boost gauge within a few weeks. I was wondering what you guys thought about installing a manual boost controller on it(after installing the boost gauge of course).
I have heard that they are hard on the auto transmissions because of the part-throttle boost they create, but would it not be possible to adjust it so that it only increases the boost a few psi? A stage 1 kit is supposed to increase boost by 5 or more psi and i have seen several auto trans owners get them, so would this not be easier/cheaper/and better on the trans? Or is it just a bad idea for an auto?
Old 27 Sep 2010, 11:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

Definitely go with the S1. It improves performance in all areas and the shifting for you ATX is recalibrated for firmer shifts (less slippage). You will love the S1. Go login at ptcrew.com...much more info there.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 28 Sep 2010, 03:54 pm
Young Cruiser

The reasons I didnt go with s1 to start with is that its much more expensive than a simple boost controller, the transmission has to go through a series of runs to recalibrate itself(which i heard if it isnt done properly it could seriously damage the trans), and it is harder to remove(warranty issues).
I would love to get an s1, but a boost controller seems to be a better overall option unless its just too hard on the auto trans to consider.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 10:30 am
Cool Cruiser

the problem with a manual boost controller on a stock PT is being PCM controlled the computer tells the car how much boost to run and unless you remove it from PCM control the computer will default it back down to stock levels. you will need to run an aftermarket WasteGage Actuator (WGA) with the MBC. and if you start adding boost you will not only need a boost gauge but you will also need a wide band because you need to watch your Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR)s and make sure you dont destroy your motor by going too lean. and since you havent stated what GT version you are a S1 is a great stepping stone for the GT or HO which ever you have.

IMO driveability is better on PCM control then stright WGA and worse with a MBC because the MBC is set to spike.
unless your gonna be Tracking your PT id stick with PCM control on boost and either get a mopar S2 WGA or Foward Motion WGA. if your going off PCM control get an AGP.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 29 Sep 2010, 10:34 pm
Young Cruiser

I dont really need more MAX boost as much as id just like to reach regular boost levels sooner. Is there anything that would do this that isnt extremely expensive or difficult to install?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 09:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PTGT View Post
I dont really need more MAX boost as much as id just like to reach regular boost levels sooner. Is there anything that would do this that isnt extremely expensive or difficult to install?
well a boost controller wont help you get there faster it only allows you to go higher.

the only way you can play with the car cheaply is by boost leak testing. the PT stock come with a crap load and if you seal them all up you'll have quicker responce but no increase in power. the car already has that power just leaking air. also a boost controller is a self induced boost leak on the WGA line.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 14 Oct 2010, 07:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You can also do the free airbox mod. It's entailed in the mod bible on ptcrew.com.

Add a k&n filter and it'll give a bit more response. Exhaust will help with quicker spool up as well.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*