Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lost acceleration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Oct 2010, 07:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Lost acceleration

I bought my 05 gt a few months ago and when i first got it(about first week or 2) it had all kinds of power. But since then, it has seemed slightly weaker. It is most noticeable at a stoplight. When I first got it, i could give it normal throttle and it would accelerate quickly and smoothly and absolutely run off and leave everyone else at the light around me. But after the first week or so and ever since, i find myself giving it more throttle just to keep even with everyone else. Its definitely not weak, it still has a good deal of power, but just not as much as it started out with. The other day it hit 35000 miles and since the owners manual says to change plugs at 30000, and i didnt figure the previous owner had did it yet, i changed them and it seemed to have the right amount of acceleration power again, for 2 days. Now it seems to be back to it hesitative ways. Anybody got any ideas about what i could try or what the problem might be?
Old 26 Oct 2010, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Lost acceleration

The PT (turbo and non-turbo) came from the factory with crappy plug wires. If the first owner didn't change the original plugs I'm sure they never touched the wires. A lot more work. Get yourself a good set of wires and your probably have your power back to normal.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 08:24 pm
Young Cruiser

changing the wires is more work than the plugs?
Also, i forgot to mention, the idle seems to a LITTLE bit rougher now than it did when i first got it. And at night, i can turn the headlights on and they seem to slightly flicker with the rpm of the engine, then i can turn the headlights off and even the temp/direction light flickers a little with the rpm of the engine. but it only happens at idle. i can rev the engine to around 1500rpm and they seem to either completely stop flickering, or at least improve to where you cant tell it anymore. is this normal or should i be concerned?
Old 26 Oct 2010, 09:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, I don't have a turbo but from what I've seen and read, you should have been able to change the plugs without taking off the upper manifold. The wires will require you to remove the manifold to reach the ends of the plugs that are attached to the coil. Is that right?

Second, it sounds like your alternator isn't putting out the power needed to keep everything glowing or maybe your battery is getting old and weak. I'd have the whole electrical charging system checked out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_or_not_PT View Post
changing the wires is more work than the plugs?
Also, i forgot to mention, the idle seems to a LITTLE bit rougher now than it did when i first got it. And at night, i can turn the headlights on and they seem to slightly flicker with the rpm of the engine, then i can turn the headlights off and even the temp/direction light flickers a little with the rpm of the engine. but it only happens at idle. i can rev the engine to around 1500rpm and they seem to either completely stop flickering, or at least improve to where you cant tell it anymore. is this normal or should i be concerned?
Buy any name brand wires - the stock wires suck.
Flicker I wouldn't call normal, but it is common.
I have changed plus & wires on both the aluminum and plastic intake turbos - neither one requires you to take the intake off to do plugs or wires, but to do plugs, you need a sparkplug socket with a swivel on it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Oct 2010, 07:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for clearing that up Don. I knew you could get to the plugs on a turbo but was unaware that you could also change the wires and have access to the coil end without taking off the manifold.

Old 27 Oct 2010, 10:35 am
Young Cruiser

So new wires will fix the lost acceleration and possibly the flickering/rough idle?
Old 27 Oct 2010, 11:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

no0t the flickering btu maybe the loss get up and go

ID have the battery checked and or the altanitor for help with the flickering problem
Old 27 Oct 2010, 01:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Most common problem when a turbo owner notices a loss of power is a boost leak. Bad plugs/wires will cause a miss or some hesitation but a general loss of power is probably boost related. Do you have a boost gauge?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 27 Oct 2010, 05:59 pm
Banned

As everyone said, the plugs and wires will take care of the rough idle almost everytime, but also check all of your vacuum lines for leaks. Even a small vac leak will produce an idle that isn't normal.

The normal cure for the lights flickering is to clean ALL of your engine to body/frame grounds. Alot of our PT owners have had the same flickering and cleaning the grounds has fixed it everytime that I can recall. I and a lot of other owners did a hyperground mod to get more top end oomph and it really helped. The plugs fire because they are grounded to your engine and the better the ground to the engine the better they fire at high rpm. The lights no longer flickering was just an added bonus for the ones that were having that problem before the hyperground.

Jerry