Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BOV Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Nov 2010, 02:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default BOV Question

I have a 05 ptgt with auto transmission. I was wondering if it was possible to put a bigger BOV or would it hurt the engine.

Just looking for some very small things I can do to sass her up.

Here is what Ive done for performance and sounds

1. Removed Factory Muffle (love how is sounds)
2. Shortie Intake
3. Bigger wires
4. Iridium Plugs

Any thing else anyone can think of that would help me. Either performance or sound of the engine... I am getting a stage 1 for christmas (i think)
Old 15 Nov 2010, 03:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: BOV Question

I know any aftermarket wires are better than the stock Mopar wires but what wires did you get? I'd suggest either Taylors or Granatelli's personally, but to each their own.

As far as mods, I've heard and been told you don't necessarily have to upgrade your intake. The simple modded airbox+upgraded TTAB pipe would more than suffice until you get a bigger turbo. I personally went with the FIPK intake and love it but sometimes I wonder how it'd compare to a modded airbox with upgraded pipe.

Also, what are your plugs gapped at?

I have a list of mods I'm getting done pretty soon, but with X-mas around the corner...my GF and I are eyeballing a 50" Plasma so mods will be put to hold.

So far;
a 3" o2 housing (being shipped to me)

needswings downpipe (going full 3" exhaust)

needswings cold up-pipe with HKS or TIAL BOV

autometer wideband

ported turbo

ported exhaust manifold

plastic upper+lower intake manifold (if you have the early 05, then you probably have the aluminum one). I have the plastic one sitting in box, just need to install it.

577cc fuel injectors (you have them already, 03's come with 527cc)

weight modding (stripping a few things)

Plan on having all this done in just a few months. As for Stage 1, I missed out on one but instead bought a Diablosport Predator Tuner and love it!
Old 15 Nov 2010, 03:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Mopar Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade Kits for SRT-4/PT Cruiser Turbo - JEGS

is that the stage 1 everyone talks about...
Old 15 Nov 2010, 03:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yep, all it is is a PCM.

Easy to take out, but it's not a simple take out and replace kind of thing. You'll need to do the transmission relearn and few other things.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 03:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

now that one says 2003, how do i get it to relearn the transmission and stuff

I really wanna do this now on my PT i have the High output what all do i get since i guess i dont need the injectors. and is there a horsepower gain for me....this is my 1st turbo car..
Old 15 Nov 2010, 03:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan1976 View Post
now that one says 2003, how do i get it to relearn the transmission and stuff

I really wanna do this now on my PT i have the High output what all do i get since i guess i dont need the injectors. and is there a horsepower gain for me....this is my 1st turbo car..
Read the Mod Bible posted on PTCrew.

Btw, did you read any of the things I listed above? Guess you're not wanting to do much to your PT GT 'doh! That's what I plan on doing, afterward I'll focus on handling.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 03:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I have a 05 ptgt with auto transmission. I was wondering if it was possible to put a bigger BOV or would it hurt the engine.

Just looking for some very small things I can do to sass her up.

Here is what Ive done for performance and sounds

1. Removed Factory Muffle (love how is sounds)
2. Shortie Intake
3. Bigger wires
4. Iridium Plugs

Any thing else anyone can think of that would help me. Either performance or sound of the engine... I am getting a stage 1 for christmas (i think)
a bov is for noise only it has no affect on helping increase HP. it releaves the pressure and keeps your turbo from back spinning.

the cheapest noise maker is the mopar blue plate found pretty much anywhere online for SRT-4s

now if you want something else you could buy a pipe from this place which will come with a bov flange of your choice.
DEJON | Powerhouse

i know with the AMX/needswings pipe i had to weld my own flange on for my wifes PT. my next PT will have that pipe.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 15 Nov 2010, 04:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinsrt View Post
now if you want something else you could buy a pipe from this place which will come with a bov flange of your choice.
DEJON | Powerhouse

i know with the AMX/needswings pipe i had to weld my own flange on for my wifes PT. my next PT will have that pipe.
Those are nice!

Except it wouldn't work for me unless I took off the heatshield from my intake.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 04:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ok so thanks for all the help bc im a tard, now i know i have a factory bov, I notice there is a mitsubishi gen 1 will this work if i buy the following

CIP-PTA - $99
Mitsu DSM 1g BOV New - $99.95
Upper incooler pipe for the mistu bov

Now what about these intake manifolds (and how does the plastic help over aluminum) do you have a link where i could get them, sorry for all the questions but my better half will kill me if i mess this car up..
Old 15 Nov 2010, 04:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Ok so thanks for all the help bc im a tard, now i know i have a factory bov, I notice there is a mitsubishi gen 1 will this work if i buy the following

CIP-PTA - $99
Mitsu DSM 1g BOV New - $99.95
Upper incooler pipe for the mistu bov

Now what about these intake manifolds (and how does the plastic help over aluminum) do you have a link where i could get them, sorry for all the questions but my better half will kill me if i mess this car up..
you could just go to the junk yard and find a first gen Talon/Eclipse/Laser and pull the bov off it.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge