Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough running '06 GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2010, 09:59 am
Regular Cruiser

Wink Rough running '06 GT

I have a low mile '06 GT with only 32k on it.
We bought it new and don't run it hard at all.
We experianced the rough idle that many have at 11k miles so I replaced the plugs and wires as suggested.
Then magically at 22k same deal-it had come on slowly but was running rough at idle so again I replaced the plugs and wires-went with MSD wires recomended by folks on this site, and Autolite plugs, all was well and again slowly it has started running rough at idle again and it now has 32k miles on it-I am getting very tired of changing plugs and wires on this thing-(its my Wife's daily driver)-I believe I read somewhere that some had increased the idle speed to help compensate for this roughness.....or is there something else that I can do to hopefully permanatly solve this problem?? Thanks!!
Old 21 Nov 2010, 11:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rough running '06 GT

Idle speed is controlled by the computer. How did the plugs look when you took them out? Do you know what to look for in a fouled plug? Are you also following the recommended plug gap for a GT?

It might be that your wife is just lugging around town and the plugs are carbonized (if that's the right word). Before changing anything, take it for a (legal) high speed run. Also throw in a container of fuel injector/intake/valve cleaner before the run/ I recommend Chevron Techron. Use less than half a tank of gas and a whole bottle of the cleaner.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 01:20 pm
Banned

Crewzin is right about "blowin the cobs out" once in a while to help keep the carbon from building up on the plugs and valves. Since this process is rpm related you can easily blow it out by simply leaving it in 3rd gear on the atx for instance and running it up to around 55 or 60 for about a mile and you're done and still legal.

A can of Crewzins and my favorite cleaner (Chevron Techron) will work to keep these deposits off also.

Just two questions, what gap did you set the plugs at? Also hopefully you didn't use platinum plugs in a GT?

Jerry
Old 21 Nov 2010, 01:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mine waited until 47k miles to start the rough idle thingy. New plugs and oil change didn't do it completely, so a half can of seafoam on a full tank of gas and now it's back to purring like a kitten. I've tried the Techron, usually run a bottle through about every 6000 miles, but someone on another forum suggested the seafoam. Car smoked a bit but man did it want to run.

Another forum suggested something I've yet to try, which is find some race fuel (100+ octane) and run a mixture of half and half with 93, run the car hot on the highway as fast as is comfortable, to blow out all the carbon deposits. Maybe next time. I've run straight 100 in it the few times I've been at the track but always watered it down right afterwards with regular. Never seems to hurt my baby.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 03:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Guys, Thanks to you both for the replies and suggestions!!
I have used the Chevron Techron before in other vehicles and lots of people recommend it-plus we use Chevron gas in it too-so thats worth a shot.
Also have used the Seafoam before in other vehicles.
I did put in Platinum plugs about 10k miles ago and gapped at .040 as some on here recommended-I know that everyone says not to put platinums in a turbocharged engine and I won't again, but I did have a lenghty conversation with the Autolite rep about this and he said from a manufacturers standpoint that no one should have any problems running them.......I have been advised to use NGK Irridium plugs one step colder than stock and gap at .030, so I think thats what I'm going to try along with some sort of fuel system cleaner/additive. Thanks Again!!
Old 21 Nov 2010, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ahhhh if you're running plats, gap them at .035, you might just notice a difference. I did!
Old 21 Nov 2010, 03:42 pm
Banned

Talking to any manufacturer rep will only get you what "they" want you to hear. It has been everyones experience that the plats can's take the turbo combustion temps without failing. If you go over to "the Crew" and ask about plats in a turbo, they'll chew on you for half an hour before stopping. They are "the" PT performance site and they learned years ago that using the plats was a BAD move. Several places in thier archives they have pictoral proof of this. Also, since you and your wife are not "performance" drivers, you would be better off using the stock temp range of whatever plug you buy for the turbo PTs. Any manufacturers "iridiums" are the best for longevity. The recommended "one step colder" works great for the heavey footed drivers with modded cruisers amoung us, but are not needed nor recommended for the dailey driver guys with turbo PTs. You want your plugs to reach normal operating temps at the correct time and to stay there during the normal daily driving tasks that you do.

Jerry
Old 21 Nov 2010, 05:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

OK, Again, Thanks for the replies!! that was what I was thinking about the heat range.
I think I will get the NGK Irridiums in stock heat range and gap at .030...or should I go to .035?? and you are right we are not performance drivers but do kick it up just a bit sometimes!!
Old 21 Nov 2010, 05:49 pm
Banned

All I can say is if I were you, I would go with stock heat range iridiums, gapped at around 35. Let us know how it turns out please.

Jerry
Old 21 Nov 2010, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH JERRY!

My car see's near redline constantly. In the words of one of my insane friends over on the PTCrew, I "drive it like I stole it"!!! lol