Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
warranty on staged upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Nov 2003, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default warranty on staged upgrades

Did anybody get any better of a answer at the block party about the staged 1,2 upgrades warranty .

I am friends with my local dealer's service mgr. Over coffee the other day we got into a debate about warranty issues.I brought up the issue of the law that covers aftermkt parts he smiled and said yes he is aware of it. He also said that if they get a car in and something is wrong with it the process of warranty becomes very sticky.

It usually takes 4 times as long to get the car fixed. A lot of times a district service rep gets involed.It always cost the customer money because they are not paid to diagonse other products other than DC. He said he has been burned to many times by customers,he would try to be a nice guy and do some warranty work on a car with aftermkt toys. Then something would act up again and the customer would get pissed snd call Dc or their district service rep.

Then they in turn would call him wanting the file on the car. Then they would see where the car had aftermkt parts and he would get his butt reamed for doing warranty work on that vehicle. Now he tells people up front when they come in if they are having problems with there car and aftermkt parts are installed in the area that they are having problems that they themselves could take the parts off and put it back to stock and see if they still have the problem.

Or he would be more than happy to look at the car telling them that the car may or may not be warranted.But if they have to trouble shoot another companys part the standard labor rate will apply.He said it pisses customers off but he is through getting his butt handed to him by higher ups because he tries to help someone and it doesn't work and the cust goes over his head.

How does he feel about the staged upgrades the same thing applys. He said if someone came in with a blown head gasket with stage 1 installed he would immed get the district rep involved. I would think one of the biggest topics at the block party would be the warranty of the staged upgrades. I have not seen anything on this topic. I thought some of u might like to see a different perspective on the topic from a service mgr at a 5* dealer.
Old 30 Nov 2003, 04:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

I totally agree with the dealer on this, as I have seen our shop go through the ringer on just normal repairs. The problem is Chrysler and the fact that they will not honor the factory warranty even when you have installed their own MP parts, which "I" do not consider "aftermarket" parts.
Maybe they could offer us a supplemental warranty for staged kits/MP parts at a reasonable cost which would benefit both parties? I know this is an additional cost but I would be willing to spend a little more for peace of mind. I think this should cover only MP parts and owner installed. This would also leave it up to the owner whether or not they want the coverage.
Old 30 Nov 2003, 06:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

My response is for DC to open their freakin' eyes and see what other manuyfacturers are doing. Even little Mini offers the full factory warranty on their supercharger stage upgrade. What the he11 is wrong with DC. Wether they want to try to distance themselves from MOPAR or not, they are ultimately viewed as being part of Chrysler and they are just alienating a large segment of potential buyers.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 30 Nov 2003, 10:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

yep, toyota offers full warrenty on their supercharger as long as its installed by them....
Old 30 Nov 2003, 11:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would have to say that any of the stage kits have no warranty. Any and all mopar performance part #'s that start with a "P" have always been sold as is with no warranty. For anyone who has bought any mopar performance parts in the past should already know this. According to a statement we recieved in our parts dept. from chrysler, all stage kits are not emissions legal and are for off-road use only.
Old 01 Dec 2003, 01:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lvd2340

I would have to say that any of the stage kits have no warranty. Any and all mopar performance part #'s that start with a "P" have always been sold as is with no warranty. For anyone who has bought any mopar performance parts in the past should already know this. According to a statement we recieved in our parts dept. from chrysler, all stage kits are not emissions legal and are for off-road use only.
Thanks for the info. We pretty much understand this, but , the point is that Chrysler needs to step up to the plate and cover their hi-perf/turbo mods just like the the other Manufacturers have. I guess their thinking could be considered "old Europe thinking" My idea of supplemental warranty coverage was just compromise between Chrysler honoring their warranty like they should and nothing. Without a warranty guarantee their so called "MoPar Speed Shop" will never fly. Chrysler really needs to pull their heads out of their you know what's.
Old 01 Dec 2003, 03:02 am
Senior Cruiser

This is kinda funny now cause at the Party MOPAR guys all told me they are trying to get the MOPAR stage 1 and 2 CARB certified but it takes time! They also said that they are pretty sure no stage 1 modded PT ever flunked SMOG inspection!! It would be crazy if stage 1 and 2 get certifed by CARB and still wont be waranteed. Actually all I want is other parts in car covered!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 01 Dec 2003, 02:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It is not the Mopar Performance people. The folks in the trenches are very aware that the plug in the dyke is warranty. The biggest problem is that DC still is not an efficiently run company (cross cultural administrations almost always redouble their challenges due to conflicts in communication).

Until Daimler sees profits rolling out of Chrysler, they will not take any chances (like warrantying goods for aftermarket).

This may not happen, ever.

No great groundswell of angst arose when Eagle Motor Company dissapeared, no marching in the streets when Plymouth died, and probably not much will be said if all you can purchase from the Ex-Chrysler dealer is a Jeep and an MB.

Only the hopeless romantics hang on to the "Made In America" viewpoint (Sam Walton is rolling over in his grave this Christmas).
I really wonder how many Americans would buy a vehicle if they knew it was built by child slave labor or prisoners somewhere outside these borders as many of the Walmart products are?
Old 01 Dec 2003, 03:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lvd2340

The problem is that we are not living in the past. This is now the 21st century. DC is the only one still living in the 1960's. The companies that have moved into the new millenium are the ones that will be getting the business. It is happening all around.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 01 Dec 2003, 04:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

I would buy the stage 1 today if they offered a full warranty. Its a Chrysler how can you trust it without One.