Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Found out some interesting news on GT Wheel Bearings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2010, 01:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Found out some interesting news on GT Wheel Bearings

I had my bearings replaced today. The service man told me some very interesting information. The Axle Nuts on both sides were loose. My axles have never been touched. He said on the GT's there is to much torque and the nuts will loosen themselves up. So he only had to replace the bearing on the passanger side. Where we thought the bearing was bad on the drivers side was actually the axle nut being loose. He checked the bearing and said it was fine no issues, he tightened the nut up and no more noises. I never asked him about the NA pt's. However this could be explaining how us PT owners are loosing bearings so much. He stated he added a small drop of locktite to make sure it didnt loosen itsself up again.

Just thought this might be some helpful information.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 02:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Found out some interesting news on GT Wheel Bearings

The axle nut should have a castelated keeper with a cotter pin through it to keep it from loosening. With this in place there is no way for the nut to back off. Additionally the nut should be torqued to 180 ft #'s. I don't know about you but I use an air impact wrench to get mine off.

Having said that, if a bearing wears and loosens up you might be able to retorque the nut and tighten the whole thing up some but the bearing is already worn in that case and should be replaced. I did this once just to get a little more wear out of it so I didn't have to do the job right then but I was doing the job in a few weeks anyhow because, as I said, the bearing was worn.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 15 Dec 2010, 02:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

The guy showed me there were no cotter pins on either side. I thought there should be. There wasnt a hole for the pin either. Wierdest thing I have seen I thought it was required
Old 15 Dec 2010, 04:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Here is what my shop manual shows
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Axle nut pic.jpg (17.8 KB, 32 views)
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 15 Dec 2010, 09:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Should i be contacting Chrysler on this issue, because if my axles do not have this could this have been a problem during construction. I am still concerned bc i still do not have cotter pins. And I was very lucky because i have a 1 year old that rides with me all the time. And I dont even wanna imagine what would have happened if the nut came off while driving.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 09:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan1976 View Post
Should i be contacting Chrysler on this issue, because if my axles do not have this could this have been a problem during construction. I am still concerned bc i still do not have cotter pins. And I was very lucky because i have a 1 year old that rides with me all the time. And I dont even wanna imagine what would have happened if the nut came off while driving.
It wouldnt hurt to contact them.I have never seen any car without the cotter pin.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 09:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yea the manager from the place was saying that he hasnt either and that all aftermarket ones were required to have one. He said they were the factory ones in there so who knows, im waiting on a callback from the garage to see if I can get it back in to have them remove the wheels so I can get pics of it.

If chrylser asks what I want or how would i like to proceed what should I say bc if it was just me id be upset however its my family that rides in it.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 10:57 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan1976 View Post
Yea the manager from the place was saying that he hasnt either and that all aftermarket ones were required to have one. He said they were the factory ones in there so who knows, im waiting on a callback from the garage to see if I can get it back in to have them remove the wheels so I can get pics of it.

If chrylser asks what I want or how would i like to proceed what should I say bc if it was just me id be upset however its my family that rides in it.
If the cotter pins are supposed to be there,and I'm pretty sure they are you should demand that they fix the problem.It could be really bad if this comes apart while driving especially if you have your family with you.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 07:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

A new axle comes with a new nut but I remember one time I accidently tried to use the old nut and if I remember correctly the old nut was thicker then the new nut and you could not see the hole in the axle for the cotter pin. Did the mechanic actually back the nut off to verify there was no hole at all in the axle? I am pretty sure it was on my cruiser that this happend.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

bucksfan, did you buy your PT new? If not there is no way of knowing if the previous owner jacked with the nuts. I check the tightness of mine about once a year when I do a rotation, just in case. Basically a shake test and visual to see that the nut and retainer are still in place. I suggest that to anyone else that drives their PT as hard as I do.