PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Buying a 2003 Turbo PT cruises, what to look out for? and gas mileage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2010, 10:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Buying a 2003 Turbo PT cruises, what to look out for? and gas mileage?

What are some common problems with these cars and what to look out for? (Friend had a SRT4 with 400WHP on which he had to rebuild and build the tranny 3 times)

What's the gas mileage /100km in city/ highway?
Old 16 Dec 2010, 11:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Buying a 2003 Turbo PT cruises, what to look out for? and gas mileage?

I'd suggest looking at getting a mid 2005+, so you don't have to purchase 577cc injectors (for S1 levels) and composite intake manifold if you plan on upgrading it.

The '03 comes with 527cc injectors (same with '03 SRT4) and the '03 to beginning of '05 used the aluminum intake manifold.

As for transmissions, stay away from the autostick. I actually like it since we auto's pretty much have boost on hand while manuals have to build it up but the 41te tranny sucks in terms of reliability (if you're modding/pushing your car) but I'm actually setting money aside for a transmission swap for the Getrag.

In all honesty, I'd get a completely stock SRT4 instead. It's on my next-to-buy list after I'm done with my '03 GT.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 12:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Buying a 2003 Turbo PT cruises, what to look out for? and gas mileage?

It's factory to my knowledge , cheap due to some hail damage and I juts plan to drive it to the ground. I'd never buy a Chrysler, but friend told me srt4s came with forged internals
Old 17 Dec 2010, 08:34 am
Regular Cruiser

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Depends on how you drive and condition... 18-25mpg

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 21 Dec 2010, 02:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

the SRT-4 and PT turbo use different manual trannys.
the block and turbofold are the same just the intake manifold, intercooler and piping is different.

if your getting a PT turbo make sure its a manual for like said above for reliablity. the Auto is ok if your just putting around but if your like my wife who likes to go fast that tranny wont hold up for very long.

any year you get will be fine. just know there are some performance differences.

03's have smaller injectors
mid 05 switched to composite manifold which bumped up HP slightly.
both bigger injectors and new manifold can be purchased

real word driving my wife averges 14-16mpg and when i drive it i average 18-20mpg.

these cars are not ment to be the best MPG value. Because the car is heavy and drives like a brick at speeds, expect to be near or in boost alot and you will notice lower MPG.

Over all its a great fun little car. very roomy and if your into modifying a good portion of NSRT-4 parts will bolt onto the PT. good luck with your future purchase

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge
Old 24 Dec 2010, 02:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a stock 03 manual. I get 16-18mpg if I am having fun, 20 normally. Just for fun, I drove LA to Vegas late one night when I could get away with every gas saving technique. I got 31 mpg. It is not practical to drive like that though.