Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Premium gas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2011, 02:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Premium gas?

So Im new to owning a turbo. My pt is an 03 gt. So what exactly would happen if I didnt put premium gas in my pt? I am just wondering because prem. went up to 3.18 where I live.....lol.
Old 09 Jan 2011, 04:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Premium gas?

This is just my opinion. If you don't have Stage I, you may be able to get by with 89 octane, but your mileage and performance may suffer. Here in Wisconsin, we're up to $3.30 for premium and mid-grade is about $3.20 or so. If you get 1 more mpg with premium, you'll spend more on gas for mid-grade than premium. Even if the difference in price allows you to save a few bucks, your Cruiser should benefit from the premium in the long run. I've pondered all the arguments for going "cheap," but the GT's engine is a high-performance engine that will best serve you when you run what the manufacture recommends.
Old 09 Jan 2011, 06:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You should be hearing from some of the GT owners about now. You knew the Turbo took premium fuel when you bought it and if you didn't think gas prices weren't going to go up, I have a cheap bridge to sell you.

If a $1 more per fill up for premium is gonna break you, better sell the car now because it's only going to get worse. That you can take to the bank (if you have anything left).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Jan 2011, 06:23 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I would say the extra $2 per tank is worth knowing your car is getting what Chrysler recommends.
Old 09 Jan 2011, 07:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Probably nothing except for less performance and mpg. The only difference between GT and "turbo lites" is that the GT computer advances the timing further when you put in premium gas, where the "lites" only advance it to 87 octane levels. If you put regular or middle grade gas into a GT, the knock sensor ShOuLd pick it up and retard the timing accordingly, lowering the performance and mpg. The only danger is if the gas was of a low quality, and the knock sensor couldnt retard the timing enough to make up for it. Then its detonation time. If you do use the lower grades of gasoline, remember to listen for ANY signs of detonation(especially at higher rpms), and go a little easier on it.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 04:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

I havent done anything like that to my pt yet. I was just wondering. This is my first turbo vehicle. But it is good to talk to you guys about things just so I can stand ahead of the game, I really appreciate it. Im leaning on stage1-ing mine but I dont know where to begin. I am by no means retarted when it comes to vehicles , I just like to ask before I do things just to be on the safe side. I dont like learning the hard way.....
Old 10 Jan 2011, 04:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy85 View Post
Im leaning on stage1-ing mine but I dont know where to begin.
You were complaining about the price of gas and now you want to go to Stage 1.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 04:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_or_not_PT View Post
Probably nothing except for less performance and mpg. The only difference between GT and "turbo lites" is that the GT computer advances the timing further when you put in premium gas, where the "lites" only advance it to 87 octane levels. If you put regular or middle grade gas into a GT, the knock sensor ShOuLd pick it up and retard the timing accordingly, lowering the performance and mpg. The only danger is if the gas was of a low quality, and the knock sensor couldnt retard the timing enough to make up for it. Then its detonation time. If you do use the lower grades of gasoline, remember to listen for ANY signs of detonation(especially at higher rpms), and go a little easier on it.
True.
What he doesn't say is that detonation - pre-ignition - can eat valves and cause major harm.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Jan 2011, 04:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yes I want a sg1 but I wasn't complaining about it per say, just curious. Like I said I never put reg in my tank and was just wondering. Ive never had a vehicle that required it besides my caddy, and it was non turbo.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 04:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Are you auto or 5 speed?

Auto- get stage 1 but be prepared for a drop in mpg and an increase in hp, tq, and fun factor. Defiantly wouldn't run anything less that 91 if you can't find 93 in your area. If for any reason you can not find mid or premium DO NOT get on it too bad or, as stated above, you'll find yourself with detonation.

5 speed- skip the stage 1, get 04+ pt gt injectors or Mopar stage 1 injectors and check with diablosport if your CalID is supported by the predator or if you want to spend more the trinity. But I'd still advise to all of the above regarding the gas.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*