PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Did I experience the high end ECU problem??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2003, 02:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt
Default Did I experience the high end ECU problem??

I was driving to work this morning (at 6:30 am, Im nutz I tell you) and I was at around 60 mph, start to accelerate to pass a slow fart and the whole car just let go and then immediately got back up. Felt like it burped! I am running max PSI (peak 15 and hold at 14) and this has never happened before(except once when I put 92 in). The jolt was enough to move me forward.

I HATE my dealer. I curse them everytime I am forced to even drive by it. I DO NOT want them touching the GT. When everyones ECU was replaced, did this sort of thing happen all the time?

Stats: Bought 2/03 at 15,500 miles

Poo.
Old 06 Dec 2003, 02:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think you did for sure. Mine was the same when I first felt it. I thought the car was dying, but then it came back up. I called,gave date of manufature,TSB number, and they ordered it. As the young buck who does my work said, why would anyone say it, if it was not doing it. I did not have the heart to tell him I belong to the most informed group of cruiser owners there is! And yes I will do every recall, or TSB I can prove, or not prove.

I hate my STEALER with a passion, I like the young buck that works on my car though. I think he is thorough, understands I know what I am doing and when I was in for the PCM replacement and the rear wiper sprayer dripping, he told me flat out, if anything ever happens pull most mods off meaning stage 1, and have it towed in. When I went for the PCM I just took the S1 off, left the injectors in, if I have a death situation, I have a gasket I would spend the hour taking the injectors out and the bov and put it to stock.

The first thing out of the service managers mouth was well this if for the stock PCM, not your Stage 1. I informed him due to the concern of warrenty issues I had removed Stage 1. I hate to be dishonest but for 27,000 and this suposed fantastic warranty, I will do what it takes to get my moneys worth.

Go for it, it is a PCM, it is painless, just inform them of the pinion program as mine forgot because they are not used to the trans. module on the PCM. Easy mistake and the young buck was happy when I kept insisting that was the issue, and then it hit him the PCM was differant than most he works on.

2003 Electric Blue GT-30,000 Miles on the clock
Stage 1, Greddy Profec II B. Turbo Chargers Wastegate set to 13#. Forge Motors BOV (Blue of course). Brand AMX Intake/AirCooler Pipes/K&N Cone with Snorkel to Fender well, MSD Coil, Live Wires(Blue of course), Factory rear sway bar, KYB struts and shocks, BTG strut tower brace, Suspension Techniques 1.3\" F/R lowering springs, ATP 3 down pipe with high flow cat, BTG axle back exhaust, Rear Spoiler. Russel Brake Lines/Hawk Brake Pads/Power Slot Cyro Rotors on a four corners

Support Your Right to Arm Bears
Old 06 Dec 2003, 03:52 pm
Administrator

There's an easy way to tell if you need the PCM replaced. Get it in 2nd or 3rd gear and punch it up to 5200 RPM. If it sta-sta-stutters, then you got the bug.
Old 06 Dec 2003, 04:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

I do 2nd and 3rd gear pulls all the time and this has never happened. Just this once. Blah. I guess Ill just take off the MBC and head up there sometime next week. I need to get the weather seall on the rear passenger window replaced anyways.

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 06 Dec 2003, 07:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

if you experienced it you will know it. Once you pass 5200RPM or so it will mis-fire and bog. This is an internal ECU problem that effected a certain run of cruisers during a certain build period. Unfortunately i don't have the stats on hand but try a search. A temporary solution would be to regap your plugs...to forty i believe
Old 06 Dec 2003, 09:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mine is intermittent. My dumass dealer says they can't duplicate the problem and there is nothing they can do. Well maybe they can't but it does happen to me at times. It really pisses me off when it happens and makes me hate them more. They don't care. Large metro area dealers are the worste for customer service.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 10 Dec 2003, 07:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to tthrift

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sakigt

I do 2nd and 3rd gear pulls all the time and this has never happened. Just this once. Blah. I guess Ill just take off the MBC and head up there sometime next week. I need to get the weather seall on the rear passenger window replaced anyways.
this may have something to do with your problem, in my car when i hit full boost and pulling hard i feel a stutter. if you have stage I in your gt the ecu is set to cut the fuel and retard the timing at 15 psi and that may be the stutter that you feel.

just my .02 cents

tommy
Old 10 Dec 2003, 10:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

I wasnt hitting high boost at all. Maybe pulling 7psi at the time.... [:I] Think its dealership time next week...must remove MBC

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 11 Dec 2003, 01:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

this is for sure the mis-fire...Make sure that you drive your dealer rep in the car when they go to check it...
1) because it can only be reproduced at WOT above 5K rpm, and i'm pretty sure you don't wantt some yoo-hoo beating the crap out of your car
2) to actually make sure the problem is duplicated and they don't just brush you off
Old 11 Dec 2003, 08:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to tthrift

its always good to have the copy of the tsb in your hands whebn you go in the door.

tommy