Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
bov first timer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2011, 12:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default bov first timer

i just bought an hks ssqv bov and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to set it up
Old 26 Jan 2011, 01:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: bov first timer

Mount it on a flange that gets welded onto your (upgraded) cold up-pipe (the pipe coming from your intercooler to your throttle body).

The rest is in the instruction manual. Need any specific instruction, just ask! I'm sure those will go into depth on how-to for you.

Btw, welcome to the forum!
Old 21 Apr 2011, 02:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok I know this is a little old but I have the same question basicaly.... only a few more. I bought the same BOV,mine came with the whole flange already attached. It's not that big ,mabey a couple of inches on each side of the bov.
I have the original cold-up pipe (rubber hose?) anyway can I just cut the hose and clamp the bov flange to both ends or is it absolutly necessaery I up-grade that to a metal pipe? Also do I have to block of the original bov outtake?
Any help would be greatly appreciated Oh and my picture in my sig is my old cruiser before I upgraded to the 03 GT.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 06:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Let me get this straight; you bought one of those universal pipes that has the flange pre-welded on. You cut your current up-pipe and install this metal pipe between the 2 pieces of rubber hose?

Honestly, I'd opt for a full aftermarket cold up-pipe with flange already welded on because you'll be susceptible to leaks with that universal pipe (might leak between the universal pipe and rubber).

You'll also want a block off plate to place in between your turbo and stock surge valve.

Back to your BOV, you can either T off your brake boost line from the rear of your intake manifold or into the line coming off the top of your throttle body. I T'd off the brake boost line for my boost gauge and off the throttle body for my BOV.

Here's mine -

Old 21 Apr 2011, 08:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Let me get this straight; you bought one of those universal pipes that has the flange pre-welded on. You cut your current up-pipe and install this metal pipe between the 2 pieces of rubber hose?
Yeah you got it right... I havn't installed it yet though. I like your set up much better though. I would like to go the same way as you cause that's excactly what I would like.
A couple of questions though
1. Where would I be able to get the pipe similar to yours and the blocking plate??
Thanks for the help man
Old 22 Apr 2011, 12:00 am
Senior Cruiser

I used the Mopar blue plate (since it was free) and turned it around backwards. Used the supplied gasket paired with some RTV sealant and created my own block off plate.

You can get a block off plate anywhere from free to 10 bucks from the SRTForums. It helps if there's a local SRTForum to you, some of the guys might just give you one. Otherwise, check out Ebay, Modern Performance, Needswings, or post a Wanted Ad on here or PTCrew or SRTForums.

As for the cold up-pipe, I went through Dejon Powerhouse (google it).

You can also get yours from Jim over at Needswings. He's on the PTCrew and offers a small discount to forum members. His username is AMX1397.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 12:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Here's where I T'd mine off -

If you look closely, you'll see the brake boost line behind the intake manifold. T'd that off and ran a line from that to my boost gauge.

Ignore the bubble in the boost gauge. I filled it a bit and leveled it out somewhat so the bubble is pretty much gone. It's just that my gauge is liquid-filled.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 01:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel
Question Re: bov first timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
Here's where I T'd mine off -

If you look closely, you'll see the brake boost line behind the intake manifold. T'd that off and ran a line from that to my boost gauge.

Ignore the bubble in the boost gauge. I filled it a bit and leveled it out somewhat so the bubble is pretty much gone. It's just that my gauge is liquid-filled.
Hi Kawizx9r how are you doing?... hope your doing fine... I have like a month searching for an up pipe without a Bov Flange, I remember you had one in one of the pics you posted in a tread, I cant find it anywhere, and I saw this post and went to the respective sites and didnt find it, where did you get yours? not the actual one the one whit out the flange?

Thanks
Daniel

OK MY BAD! I saw it... in the needwings site, does it fit right that one? because a see in the pics that it has the sensor couplers and vacuum hose attachment... but seems a little different from yours

Thnax

Last edited by niel; 22 Apr 2011 at 01:41 pm.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 02:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel View Post
Hi Kawizx9r how are you doing?... hope your doing fine... I have like a month searching for an up pipe without a Bov Flange, I remember you had one in one of the pics you posted in a tread, I cant find it anywhere, and I saw this post and went to the respective sites and didnt find it, where did you get yours? not the actual one the one whit out the flange?

Thanks
Daniel

OK MY BAD! I saw it... in the needwings site, does it fit right that one? because a see in the pics that it has the sensor couplers and vacuum hose attachment... but seems a little different from yours

Thnax
I'm doing fine thanks for asking.

If you get the needswings up-pipe, go through a member by the name of AMX1397 (Jim) on the other forum PTCrew.com He offers a tiny discount for PTCrew members.

If you want the one I have, go to DEJON | Powerhouse

I recommend replacing the entire pipe from the intercooler up to the throttle body so if you go through Dejon, you'll need to purchase the smaller up pipe, and on that same page the long pipe (that's on the bottom of the page).

Price is around the same for a simple powder coated, mandrel bent pipe.

Jim offers his pipes teflon-coated as well but it's a bit more expensive than Dejon's offerings.

As for the sensor, you take off the grommet that's on the stock pipe and insert it into the new pipe where you can plug in your sensor. A nipple is already installed for the vacuum line.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 05:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
I'm doing fine thanks for asking.

If you get the needswings up-pipe, go through a member by the name of AMX1397 (Jim) on the other forum PTCrew.com He offers a tiny discount for PTCrew members.

If you want the one I have, go to DEJON | Powerhouse

I recommend replacing the entire pipe from the intercooler up to the throttle body so if you go through Dejon, you'll need to purchase the smaller up pipe, and on that same page the long pipe (that's on the bottom of the page).

Price is around the same for a simple powder coated, mandrel bent pipe.

Jim offers his pipes teflon-coated as well but it's a bit more expensive than Dejon's offerings.

As for the sensor, you take off the grommet that's on the stock pipe and insert it into the new pipe where you can plug in your sensor. A nipple is already installed for the vacuum line.
Thanks a lot for the info... your allways help a lot

Daniel