Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
confused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2011, 10:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Question confused

I posted on here a while back that my gt had developed hesitation at takeoff and didnt seem as strong as it did when I got it. So I started thinking and remembered that the dealer filled it up when I bought it, which lasted me about a week, and that it was about the same time I got my first gas in it when the problem started. I figured the dealer probably filled it up with regular 87 octane of the lowest quality to save money, and all I have ever put in it was high quality 93 octane. So I ran it down under a quarter tank and got a few dollars of middle grade 89 octane, just to see if it made a difference.
Long story short, the 89 octane has made it run almost as good and strong as it did that first week again. But how is this possible? Do note that I don't plan on hotrodding it while the 89 octane is in there, but while driven normally, it feels like a different car. Can anybody explain this to me?
Old 28 Jan 2011, 10:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: confused

Ironically, as GASOLINE octane goes up, BTU's go down (yes they're different)
I do doubt you'd notice the difference seat-of-pants.
I'd sincerely doubt it'd cure a performance (hesitation) problem, car would prolly putz along on kerosene.