Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
changing turbo from stock!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2011, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default changing turbo from stock!

Can I put a different turbo in without mods? Say I want to put a bigger turbo in and kept the boost toned down by a boost controller till I decide to upgrade injectors and pcm! Is it possible to do this? I need any answers that would be helpful thank you! I'm about to buy a t3 turbo setup off eBay soon and I don't want to purchase this thing if I can't install it without other mods being done right away!
Old 03 Feb 2011, 03:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: changing turbo from stock!

That's a big upgrade...to want to switch out the turbo first.

You'll need your supporting mods if you want your car to live!

You won't know what to 'tone' the boost down to if you don't have a boost gauge and wideband (Innovative or AEM recommended). On top of that, boost levels will vary from turbo to turbo IE 5lbs boost on stock turbo is not the same as 5lbs on let's say a 50trim.

Other things to know are, not all turbos are created equal. There are different types for different applications.

If you want to start putting money into your PT for performance, start with your supporting mods and work your way from there.

Oh and one more thing, is your PT GT an automatic (autostick)? If it is, and you plan on putting down serious power...I say you better have funds for multiple transmission rebuilds, or better yet a full swap for the 5-speed Getrag.

-Freddy

Edit: I was under the assumption you had a PT GT since you mentioned a turbo. Is it a GT, or the Turbo Lite? Also, what year is it?
Old 03 Feb 2011, 04:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well all I really want is to hear that sound that sounds so great when u have a turbo! Which is that familiar swwwwsssssssspoosh! The blow off! What good is having turbo labels on your car if that's not present? That's all I want! Not power or anything else! The last thing I want is for it to blow up! I want this car to last because they decided to stop making them and parts are scarce as is! So lead me in the right way please! Any suggestions for a blowoff valve and waste gate combo? Thank you guys!
Old 03 Feb 2011, 05:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

You simply want the sound, and no performance gains at all....hmm..

I'd suggest the Mopar 'blue plate' BOV (google it). It's simply a metal plate and gasket that attach to your stock bov. A little bit of a pain in the ass getting to the third bolt but a very simple-to-do mod.

If you don't mind spending the money, get a quality BOV (tial, HKS). You can fabricate your own piece to put into your cold up-pipe (will require cutting/modding your stock up pipe) or simply replacing the entire cold up-pipe and having a flange welded on it.
Old 03 Feb 2011, 11:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpcaddict View Post
Well all I really want is to hear that sound that sounds so great when u have a turbo! Which is that familiar swwwwsssssssspoosh!

bov mopar items - Get great deals on eBay Motors, Neon items on eBay.com!

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 02 Mar 2011, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

im going to ask this first and then look for myself... but does anybody have any pictures of one of the high dollar BOV's?

i'd like to see where it's placed exactly.. im a visual man.
Old 02 Mar 2011, 09:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

bigger turbo = bigger explosion
Old 19 Apr 2011, 05:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: changing turbo from stock!

Speaking of replacing a turbo…my turbo was replaced last week.

I was hoping someone could offer advice. My 2005 GT convertible has 57,000 miles at this point and as I stated the turbo was replaced. I was thinking that using synthetic oil might be a good idea…until I read that the use of non-synthetic oil is recommended for new engines. Apparently something about deposits seating seals, etc. Using a synthetic doesn’t allow this “seating” and leads to oil leaks. Obviously I’m a newbie and don’t know squat about engines let alone turbos. I only know that I want to do the right thing. I bought the car used and luckily it came with a 6 month/6,000 mile power train warranty which covered it.

I’ve wanted a GT convertible since I first saw one. Now I have one and want it to last. I appreciate any help.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 11:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Your engine has 57,000 miles, it isn't really a "new" engine.

Use the synthetic oil, if you can afford it.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 20 Apr 2011, 05:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Therefore, I should base the choice of oil on the engine mileage, not the fact that the turbo is new? Got it. Thanks very much!