Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo is not functioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Feb 2011, 02:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Turbo is not functioning

I just joined the group today, and I have a question. I have a 2005 Turbo Convertible, and the Turbo seems to have crashed. I have read how to remove it for repair, and I think I can do that. It's a tight fit to get at anything in the engine compartment, so I am sure there will be a few knuckles bleeding, and a few cus words said in the process. Before I start pulling it out, I am sure there are a few things that should be looked at that may solve the problem. Can anyone give me a list of what those possibilities may be? If I have to remove the Turbo unit, what is a reasonable time period from start to finish? Are there rebuilt units available? I saw that Ebay has some kits to rebuild, but unless I see what the problem is, there isn't any reason to buy one yet. Last question is, can the car be driven with the Turbo not functioning. I read that there is a possibility of getting filings in the oil that could cause damage.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 01:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo is not functioning

Why do you think the turbo is dead? Have you remove the intake hose and check for shaft play? I would not drive the car with the turbo not working. You will barely hit freeway speed.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 13 Feb 2011, 05:07 pm
Young Cruiser

For some reason, my post was moved off the Tech area. I may be a bit stupid at times, but this is certainly a technical question in my opinion.
I did remove the intake tube, inserted my finger, felt the impeller, and I can wiggle it around. It also spins a bit "floppy" when I spin it.
I also took out the air filter box, and there was oil in it, which tells me something else may be wrong, but that could be a faulty PCV valve???
I removed the intake manifold, and separated the throttle body from the manifold, and there was some oil in the butterfly area.
I need to know if the rad has to be drained to remove the Turbo, as I saw there is a water connection from the heater pipe going to the Turbo. I understand the cooling of the Turbo is both oil and water from what I have been able to read.
I really need some assistance on this one.

Last edited by hidinginparadise; 13 Feb 2011 at 05:09 pm. Reason: Spelling error
Old 13 Feb 2011, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidinginparadise View Post
For some reason, my post was moved off the Tech area. I may be a bit stupid at times, but this is certainly a technical question in my opinion.
Yes it is a technical question but we also have a TURBO section and you'd have a better chance of getting answers from fellow members that have a turbo.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 07:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

We recently added a User's Guide for PT Cruiser Turbos which might answer some of the techical questions about your turbo. It can be found in our photo section here:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...albums229.html

Hopefully it will assist you in determining the condition of your turbo. Don't hesitate to contact us should you need further assistance or clarification.

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678
Old 13 Feb 2011, 08:26 pm
Banned

Turbo questions should be posted in the turbo section.

Jerry
Old 14 Feb 2011, 03:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I didn't check further down the page, so I didn't see the Turbo section.
I have talked to Chris Wright at Turbos Unleashed, and he was very helpful.
Whoever suggested contacting them on the site, thank you!
The one thing I am hearing is the removal of the oil line to the Turbo at the engine is no small task. Any comments as to the best way to attack it?
If anyone has a photo of where the line connect to the engine, it would be really appreciated. I have NO idea where it is.
Thanks
Old 18 Feb 2011, 03:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

You should have a shop manual before you tackle this, or at least the section that deals with turbos, so you at least have the torque specs for reassembly.

I don't know what you symptoms are but did you test for boost leaks if you are not getting any boost?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 19 Feb 2011, 01:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes, I certainly need a shop manual.....With the air intake tube off, it's fairly obvious that the bearings are shot, as I can move the impeller side to side and up and down with my finger.
I am fairly sure the oil line is also clogged up.
I am going for a rebuilt unit. For $500.00 it's a lot better than screwing around and applying patches that will just need mending a few months down the road.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 02:01 pm
Banned

Wow, this couldn't have turned out better for Turbosunleashed if this had been a commercial for them.

Jerry