Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
turbo supply line

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2011, 10:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Default turbo supply line

I know I had asked about the supply line before but if the turbo is still good and the line/fittings are not leaking what is the likleyhood that the oil is coking up in the line? Is this something that shold maybe be replace every so often to prevent the coking problem?

Last edited by 4SPEED; 24 Feb 2011 at 10:51 am.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 12:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: turbo supply line

What coking problem? You use synthetic oil and there is no problem.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 01:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you are not using synth, start. Dino oil will coke on the hot surface of the bearings in very minute amounts but when it is spinning 30,000 - 60,000 rpms even a small amount is destructive over time. I have not seen it accumulate in other areas of the engine.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 28 Feb 2011, 04:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Reading the following PTCruiser Turbo User's Guide should provide the information that you need about the importance of using synthetic oil and changing your oil supply line.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...albums229.html

In extreme conditions Synthetic oil will also coke up. Hot shutdowns should ALWAYS be avoided to prevent oil coking.

Don't hesitate to contact us should you have additional questions or concerns,

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678
Old 28 Feb 2011, 06:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

STOP IT CHRIS, YOU TEASE! I so want one of his turbo kits...sigh....
Old 01 Mar 2011, 01:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TurbosUnleashed View Post
In extreme conditions Synthetic oil will also coke up. Hot shutdowns should ALWAYS be avoided to prevent oil coking.

Chris-TU
How? It takes carbon to make coke and a full synth base oil should have none. I know it can burn at very high temp but how could it form coke? Just asking.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 01 Mar 2011, 05:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Cruzer View Post
How? It takes carbon to make coke and a full synth base oil should have none. I know it can burn at very high temp but how could it form coke? Just asking.
I just spent the last 30 minutes typing a thorough response only to lose it because I was automatically logged off due to inactivity.

You and I have spoken about the coking issue in the past here:

Turbo problems... I hope

The jest of the lost post was we have been doing this for 15 years now and have seen failures in both Synthetic and non-Synthetic environments. Oil does more then lubricate. It keeps impurities in suspense so they can be captured by the filtration system. Liquids (Fuel, coolant, water, grease, etc.) and smaller particles are not filtered out and play a part in breakdown and coking. This is why changing oil at regular intervals is so important. The longer you wait the more debris remains suspended in your oil. All brands are not alike. We have seen issues with Royal Purple in turbo applications. Stick to the name brands.

The crux of our response to your post was to prevent members from thinking that it was "okay" to subject their turbos to hot shutdowns just because they were running Synthetic oil. Hopefully the abbreviated explanation above is enough to convince members that it is not a good idea.

If you still have questions give us a call. We are here to help answer them.

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678

Last edited by Chris_TurbosUnleashed; 01 Mar 2011 at 06:04 pm.