Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ready to buy GT! Questions???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2011, 07:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Ready to buy GT! Questions???

I am ready to buy a GT! Looking for an 03 to 04...Questions are: How do you know if it's a turbo lite? Do all GTs have 4 wheel disc? When do you do a timing belt and waterpump? What is the average fuel mileage? I have to get an ATX Will the tranny hold up with mods to around 300 HP? What spring kit will give you a medium drop and make it level? Thats all I can think of so far!!! Thanks...AL
Old 28 Feb 2011, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ready to buy GT! Questions???

The GT is NOT the turbo lite, so you don't have to worry about that. Now I believe the '01-03's have smaller injectors so if you want to step up to stage 1 and beyond you need to buy new injectors.

I'm not sure on the brakes, my '06 has four wheel disc, but earlier models, well I haven't spent enough time wandering through the service manuals for them to see that and I'm too tired to tonight. If you want to look through them yourself, I have them online, just PM me.

For timing belts, well there's several story's here about that. I say 100k miles, but really it's based on wear and tear. If you are in southern Arizona for instance, your belt is not going to last as long as say in North Carolina, where the climate is very forgiving.

Fuel mileage?? If you're worried about that, don't get a PT. I have an '06 PT GT vert. My normal driving stile is "drive it like you stole it", so my fuel mileage is right at 17.5 mpg in the city, 21.5 hwy. I run a highly modified 93 octane tune. When I run the 100+ race tune, my mileage obviously suffers but when racing I don't care about that. I have a nice, mild highway tune that get's me right at 28mpg on the hwy, 21 in the city. I don't use that much...hahaha.... I would say normal would be 17 to 21 city, 20 to 26 highway.

ATX at 300hp? Yeah, right... first, where are you going to get that kind of power? You thinking of NOS maybe? The ATX will NOT hold up. If you pump more than 200 hp out, better get you a Getrag 5-speed. Hell, even then you'll have clutch problems. The clutch is the weak link, it's rated max 225 hp. Me, in race tune, I'm putting out 317chp, 325 lb ft. At the tires, that's 258.8bhp, still same 325 lb ft tq. My clutch slips like snot on a doorknob at WOT, and causes all kinds of problems on the dyno. It's barely limping along now until I get me a stage 2+ performance clutch.

I've not seen a single lowering kit make the PT level, just too much rake in stock standing. For me the closest without slamming it was the H&R sport springs. I love the things, they did a perfect drop (imo) on my pt.

So, here's a few looky-loos for you at an '06 PT GT Vert, lowered, stage 2, on H&R Springs w/Tokico Blues Shocks/Struts, Freedom Design strut tower brace, bunches of other stuff...

Last edited by Chromenut; 28 Feb 2011 at 08:16 pm.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 08:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks...Yours sits just right! I dont want mine slammed either...300 Hp may be a pipe dream!!! Maybe 250- 260??? Whatever the ATX will handle without grenadingAl
Old 28 Feb 2011, 08:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you plan on modding your soon-to-be PT GT at all for performance, don't look at an ATX at all....just sayin'
Old 28 Feb 2011, 10:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
If you plan on modding your soon-to-be PT GT at all for performance, don't look at an ATX at all....just sayin'
Like he said....just sayin.....
Old 28 Feb 2011, 11:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

PT is not the car to get if you're wanting more than 22mpg.

Watch out for anchor engine mounts!!
Old 01 Mar 2011, 12:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

pt is not the car if you wat a 8 sec car either btu they do look cool and they are fun to drive
Old 01 Mar 2011, 07:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts View Post
I am ready to buy a GT! Looking for an 03 to 04...Questions are: How do you know if it's a turbo lite? Do all GTs have 4 wheel disc? When do you do a timing belt and waterpump? What is the average fuel mileage? I have to get an ATX Will the tranny hold up with mods to around 300 HP? What spring kit will give you a medium drop and make it level? Thats all I can think of so far!!! Thanks...AL
All turbos in '03 were the GT - Lites started in '04. If the rear hatch says GT, and the trubo badge says high output - you've got at least 215 HP.
Quite sure all GTs have 4-wheel ABS w/discs.
100K on belt/waterpump.
On PTCrew there are tranny rebuild ideas under "mod bible"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Mar 2011, 07:55 am
Regular Cruiser

In have an '03 GT ATX Cruiser. I am looking to sell it since I am moving. It has just over 89000 miles on it and runs great. I just had the timing belt changed and water pump. Nothing is wrong with this car, I simply cannot keep it anymore. I have it posted on CL at the location below. Let me know if you are interested. I'm willing to negotiate with price.

2003 GT PT Cruiser

-Mike
Old 01 Mar 2011, 08:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys!!! I should have elaborated a bit more here! I am stuck with the ATX...My wife will need to drive it at times and theres NO WAY she will learn fondle a stick other than mine It looks like I will just have to leave it stock...Any ideas on safe HP you can run without boosting into OD??? If so do you autostick first second and third and then back out when going into OD??? Also do any 03s come with rear spoiler? Not really worried about MPG...Just curious! Thanks...Al