Advertisements
changing the lower manfold gasket

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kawizx9r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2011, 10:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default changing the lower manfold gasket

I am changing my lower gasket on the intake manfold how hard is it can some one give me good advice. and also if i remove my exhast from the cat back leaving the stock down pipe on will it lose pressure. and cause codes
Old 03 Mar 2011, 05:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: changing the lower manfold gasket

Have not done the lower gasket, so I'm no help on that.

But, I do know someone that was running their PT with only the downpipe, which gave him faster spool up on the turbo and it ran good. not sure on codes as he had a diablosport. I would suggest atleast adding an angled piece of exhaust just to keep the heat from right under your feet and point it down at the ground.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 03 Mar 2011, 11:27 am
Senior Cruiser

I suggest you get a torque wrench before taking off those bolts on your intake manifold.

Also, you said lower gasket. Do you mean the gasket between the upper and lower intake manifold, or one at the lower manifold to the block?

If it's from upper to lower, you'll need to disconnect all sensors from the upper intake manifold (so you don't pull and break something). There will be 5 (I think 10mm) bolts holding down the upper to the lower. Start from the outside edge and work torwards the center as you loosen things up. One last thing, don't forget the 2 (some have 3) bolts behind the intake manifold that secure it to the bracket. Take those out and you'll be able to lift the upper intake manifold and suspend it via bungee cord, up and out of the way.

At this point, your lower intake manifold will be exposed. DO NOT LET ANYTHING dirt/debris/tools fall in there. Now you can replace the gasket there. If that's not it, then I suggest removing the upper intake manifold from the throttle body and setting it aside.

The rest on removing the lower intake manifold piece is over at PTCrew.com (Mod Bible). Check it out, it's on Page 2 of the Plastic Intake Manifold install/review.
Old 03 Mar 2011, 11:31 am
Senior Cruiser

To answer your exhaust question, I recommend you do a 'muffler delete'

Have an exhaust shop either cut the pipe immediately before your muffler, or unclamp it just after the downpipe and have them finish it off with straight pipe.

Only cost me $60 bucks to do straight pipe from where the gas tank is and back. Another $15 for a tip, because I didn't want it to look plain.

I wouldn't recommend removing the pipe+muffler from the downpipe. I mean you can, and your turbo will indeed spool up faster but it'll be LOUD!
moparj likes this.
Old 03 Mar 2011, 07:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Its the one to the block witch was way I was misfiring it 4 and my manifold is already off and boy was it a bitch to get. But right now ota on hold I had to get the gasket from the dealer ship. Hard parts already done
Old 03 Mar 2011, 07:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Question for you; did you use anything special to get ahold of the bolts from the lower intake manifold to the block?

Seeing as how the radiator hose is in the way, I'm unable to have a look. I'd hate to take things apart just to find out I'd need a special tool.

Pics would be of great help.
Old 04 Mar 2011, 03:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

No special tools required. You'll need to remove the upper radiator hose to get to the intake-to-head bolts; I had to use a pretty small 1/4" ratchet to get those bolts off then back on.
Old 04 Mar 2011, 05:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinparker445 View Post
No special tools required. You'll need to remove the upper radiator hose to get to the intake-to-head bolts; I had to use a pretty small 1/4" ratchet to get those bolts off then back on.
Yeah I knew that much, thing is there's never been a reason to take off the radiator hose so I can't see how tight the fit is to the bolts.

Tomorrow I plan on replacing my injectors with S1's, but I might just FINALLY do the composite intake manifold swap as well.