PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
WHAT IS THE NORMAL SHAFT PLAY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2011, 05:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel
Question WHAT IS THE NORMAL SHAFT PLAY?

Ok so I got my PT here... and I sheck it for shaft play and didnt noticed nothing... was tight! but then a friend told me that I needed to wait and leave the car all night to cool down and then in the morning check it, he told me that when turbos have been run and cool down to a "touching" temperature the turbo still dilataded and has oil presure in it and I will not noticed any shaft play if it has a minimum, and he says( actually is a trubo tech but for Semi Trucks) that a normal turbo need to had a minimum shaft play and it depends from the model of the turbo, somes had a front to rear shaft play (1mm to 1.5mm) and there will be no damge and some other domestic cars have it side to side and that 1mm is a normal thing because the oil presurises the turbo and theres no contact with tha housing walls... so I check it today and it has like .5mm or less shaft play. but Im new to turbos and dont what anything wrong with it

My car has now exactly 24k and was driven by a lady and never raced, its a 2003 GT Autostick

Any help woluld be apreciated and thnak you foryour time

Daniel
Old 05 Mar 2011, 10:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: WHAT IS THE NORMAL SHAFT PLAY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel View Post
Ok so I got my PT here... and I sheck it for shaft play and didnt noticed nothing... was tight! but then a friend told me that I needed to wait and leave the car all night to cool down and then in the morning check it, he told me that when turbos have been run and cool down to a "touching" temperature the turbo still dilataded and has oil presure in it and I will not noticed any shaft play if it has a minimum, and he says( actually is a trubo tech but for Semi Trucks) that a normal turbo need to had a minimum shaft play and it depends from the model of the turbo, somes had a front to rear shaft play (1mm to 1.5mm) and there will be no damge and some other domestic cars have it side to side and that 1mm is a normal thing because the oil presurises the turbo and theres no contact with tha housing walls... so I check it today and it has like .5mm or less shaft play. but Im new to turbos and dont what anything wrong with it

My car has now exactly 24k and was driven by a lady and never raced, its a 2003 GT Autostick

Any help woluld be apreciated and thnak you foryour time

Daniel
Some shaft play (side to side or up and down) is normal. If there was "0" shaft play there would be no room for the oil to get in and separate the turbine shaft from the bearings.

In and out play is NOT good. This indicates thrust bearing wear and can be caused by lack of lubrication.

Review the following document for an in depth look at the TD04LR turbochargers.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...albums229.html

It might help you understand these unique turbochargers a little better. Give us a call if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Chris-TU
602-762-6678
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678
Old 05 Mar 2011, 10:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel
Thumbs up Re: WHAT IS THE NORMAL SHAFT PLAY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TurbosUnleashed View Post
Some shaft play (side to side or up and down) is normal. If there was "0" shaft play there would be no room for the oil to get in and separate the turbine shaft from the bearings.

In and out play is NOT good. This indicates thrust bearing wear and can be caused by lack of lubrication.

Review the following document for an in depth look at the TD04LR turbochargers.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...albums229.html

It might help you understand these unique turbochargers a little better. Give us a call if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Chris-TU
602-762-6678
Thank you soo much! a really apresiate your answerd and the link wow! I feel a lot better and know more thanx to you

Daniel