Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Re: Help, turbo failed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2011, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Help, turbo failed

I just recently purchased a used 2003 Turbo. I fell in love with the car on my test drive. I drove it all over showing her off the first week I owned her. I was going about 30 miles away to run an errand and my heater quit working. I turned the radio down and heard this horrible gurggeling and bubbling noise coming from under the hood. I quickly turned around and started to head back home so I wasnt stranded. The temperature gauge only read at the halfway point. I was worried, but not thinking Id have a problem getting home. I kept watching the gauge and it rose fast. I pulled off before it hit the red. I opened the hood (I dont really know what Im looking for, but gave it a shot.) There was a coffee with cream tinged sludge all over my engine. I knew it was bad. Immediatly I thought Id blown a head. I took it to a shop, they told me the entire engine needed replaced. A cost of $5,000!! I freaked! I took it again to another shop for a second opinion, now Im being told the engine is fine but my turbo had cracked and caused the oil and coolant to mix and overheat the car. Im really not sure what to trust at this point. I lost all the oil that was in the car when it overheated and all my coolant. It still starts and will drive but you cant go more than about 5 miles thru town before she starts bubbling and smoking. Any advice???
Old 05 Mar 2011, 09:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I know your new here and maybe you didn't know how to start your own post but throwing your problem in the middle of someone else's ongoing thread isn't the way to go. I've taken you post and put it here in the Turbo section so you can receives answers from the owners that know about turbos.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Mar 2011, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Thank you. I apologize for the mistake. Yes Im new and still trying to find my way around this site. Thanks again.
Old 05 Mar 2011, 10:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newturbomama View Post
I just recently purchased a used 2003 Turbo. I fell in love with the car on my test drive. I drove it all over showing her off the first week I owned her. I was going about 30 miles away to run an errand and my heater quit working. I turned the radio down and heard this horrible gurggeling and bubbling noise coming from under the hood. I quickly turned around and started to head back home so I wasnt stranded. The temperature gauge only read at the halfway point. I was worried, but not thinking Id have a problem getting home. I kept watching the gauge and it rose fast. I pulled off before it hit the red. I opened the hood (I dont really know what Im looking for, but gave it a shot.) There was a coffee with cream tinged sludge all over my engine. I knew it was bad. Immediatly I thought Id blown a head. I took it to a shop, they told me the entire engine needed replaced. A cost of $5,000!! I freaked! I took it again to another shop for a second opinion, now Im being told the engine is fine but my turbo had cracked and caused the oil and coolant to mix and overheat the car. Im really not sure what to trust at this point. I lost all the oil that was in the car when it overheated and all my coolant. It still starts and will drive but you cant go more than about 5 miles thru town before she starts bubbling and smoking. Any advice???
Unless the turbo is physically dropped there is no way that the oil and coolant can get through a crack and mix inside the turbo. I would say it is more then likely a headgasket failure. The turbo may have also failed due to the reduced lubricating qualities of coolant mixed with oil.

We have also witnessed inexperienced mechanics mixing up the turbo coolant and oil lines. They were aftermarket braided steel lines which would be much easier to confuse and hook up incorrectly.

Have they completed a compression check on the engine? What were the results? You said you just purchased it. Is it still under warranty or was it from a private party?

Review this document for more information on these turbos:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...albums229.html

What state are you in? Maybe someone on the list can direct you to a reliable mechanic that has experience with these cars in your area.

Good Luck!

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678