Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Good Grief

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2011, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Good Grief

We participated in purchasing a 2002 PT with just under 50K miles on it from a close relative whom we knew had it serviced regularly so we were very happy when we got it for lower than the low blue book. We drove it for a couple thousand miles before we gave it to our daughter. Within that couple thousand miles I learned it needed brakes and I noticed a sound coming from the steering wheel. I took it to my mechanic and he fixed the brakes down to the wheel cylinders. The steering wheel turned out to be the Rod and Pinion so we fixed that as well. We shipped it to our daughter in Virginia and she had it a month and it quite on her on the freeway and she had it towed to her mechanic. After the mechanic fix it he tried to drive it and found the transmission burned out. This is so hard to believe that so much could go wrong on a car with only 50K miles on it when it had been taken good care of. Whatchathink?

Signed JCK
Old 08 Mar 2011, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Good Grief

built on a friday?????
Old 08 Mar 2011, 03:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

That does not sound good. I am willing to bet the relative you bought from drove it very gingerly, but your daughter is not as sublte in her use of the car. Not to say she is abussive but I have seen cars inherited from older relatives that fall apart when driven every day to work or school. Now this assumes the relative was a retired person who did not drive much, like 50,000 miles in 9 years.
Old 08 Mar 2011, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

"Serviced regularly" could mean only that she had the oil changed at a $10 oil change rip-off place. Brakes wear out, probably never had them replaced and at 50K they were over due. Rack and pinion, can't say for sure. Tranny, like the post I'm dealing with now: it's a weak link on the PT, driven gingerly like was just said it will last a long time even if you skip the regular flush but again, as was just said, if it wasn't taken care of a little high spirited driving on low fluid levels (you said burnt out) will kill it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Mar 2011, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

On our 2002 the tranny went out at 40,000 miles, we had bought it used and had the tranny flushed at 31,000. Crap happens!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Mar 2011, 05:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Unless she was totally abusive, which i doubt, it's just a poor transmission.
I scrap for a living. JY are FULL of Caravans with the same transmissions
that have failed, fairly new ones. I have zero interest in them; but I can't help
to notice them. The other half are the unfortunate 2.7 V-6.

Nothing is certain in specifics, a MANUAL WILL LAST LONGER if not 'forever.'

I'm very sorry posters have rightaway went to 'abuse' or 'neglect' instead
of acknowledging the truth.