PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I just need it layed out clearly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2011, 11:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Default I just need it layed out clearly

LOL..

Ok so i have a 2005 pt/gt High Output. I see all this stuff about changing the ECU so that you can run more boost. My question is why wont a boost controller just solve the issue
Old 10 Mar 2011, 11:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I just need it layed out clearly

Your best bet is to go to PTCrew.Com - lotsa turbo gurus there.
They will tell you to get a boost gauge so you don't grenade your engine....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Mar 2011, 12:59 am
Senior Cruiser

There is more too it than just getting more boost
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 11 Mar 2011, 03:01 am
Banned

Much-much more. Go over to the crew, they will explain it step-by-step.

Jerry
Old 09 Apr 2011, 03:53 pm
Young Cruiser

The reason it is recommended to change the ecu to raise boost is because that is what controls the boost. If you raise it in other ways, the stock ecu will either lower it back down to stock, or throw a code, leading to 'limp home mode' and other stuff you don't want. This is why raising boost starts with a new ecu, or a reprogram of the stocker.
Old 09 Apr 2011, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

According to your post, you've got a PT GT, is it an auto tranny? Are you talking about going to stage 1 or 2?

If you're running the 5-speed Getrag tranny, don't friggin touch your ECU! Get a Predator programmer from DiabloSport, will take you to stage 2 without adding much hardware.

No matter what you do though, without a boost gauge and an AF guage/wideband/AEM, you're going to grenade your engine. Almost guaranteed. Now me, I don't have either and yet I race my PT, well used to before the big crash a month ago. Difference is that I ran with my Predator plugged in logging each pull on my laptop so I could adjust AFR and Boost on each run, along with Knock, voltage, and about 11 other settings. To really tune you in for a stage 2 run, you HAVE to have a controller set up, and a boost guage and AEM make it so much easier to tune and keep your engine at stage 2 performance.

Now, the Predator only affects the engine, which is why I asked about manual versus auto. The tranny shift points will not be adjusted on an auto with the Predator's programming, at least not yet. They have said for years they are going to develop a tranny interface but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. The Stage 1 ECU does however adjust your shift points, for an auto tranny.

Me, I wouldn't try going to stage anything with an auto tranny, cause you're just going to destroy it no matter what. Sure, lots and lots of guys out there running Stage 1 setup, but if you're serious about it and start taking it to the track, you'll kill it. Believe me!

Me, I'd go with the Predator (DSP). I love mine. Best thing is when I want to run at the track, I pull my seats out, drop the spare tire, load up my race tune, and hit the track. When I leave the track, I drop out the race tune and pop in my custom 93 octane tune. Then when I hit the highway for a long trip, I drop in my hi-mileage tune, get's me around 28 mpg on the highway.

So, the predator does, for me, a lot more than just push me to Stage 2. It's also a bitchin troubleshooting tool too! You'll find things like upping the output of your alternator makes your stereo play cleaner, makes your headlights brighter. You can adjust fuel mix and knock so that when you're broke you can run crappy gas versus 93 octane, then change back when you can afford it. Stuff like that. It's a great tool to have!!!!