PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Strange sound coming from the Air Box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2011, 11:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel
Question Strange sound coming from the Air Box

Ok... so I have a lot of doubts right now... I've never heard this sound before, till tonight, Here is the video I took, sorry for the bad quality but Its from my cell phone, the thing is that the car is in 1rst gear and I was going up hill, and start hearing this noice, like air sucking but really loud!... a couple of days I deleted the "withe AirBox Resonator", and shortered the snorkel, I have a drop in K&N filter and the box is stock... hehe minus the modifications, I still have the turbo to air box original hose, with the resonaror, but when I heard this sound I put my brother to the wheel and told him to try to go up hill like at 5 mph and I recorded the sound.... Is this normal? or is there something wrong with my turbo? it sound like its sucking a lot of air or like it has some leak but my brother says that its coming from the air box and that its my turbo sucking air like nuts!... so Im Hipocondriac as you noticed... some one ? any clue?

Thanks a lot!
Daniel

PS he put a little the foot in the brake so I can take the vid

Last edited by niel; 24 Mar 2011 at 11:22 pm.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 12:25 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Strange sound coming from the Air Box

How many miles are on the vehicle? Have you noticed a depreciation of performance?

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678
Old 25 Mar 2011, 12:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_TurbosUnleashed View Post
How many miles are on the vehicle? Have you noticed a depreciation of performance?

Chris-TU
25,405 miles, no... I dont run with it, just free way two times and maximum speed 70 mph and was graeat at the freeway exits and passing cars

Daniel
Old 27 Mar 2011, 02:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Are you still getting full boost? Do you have a boost gauge?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 28 Mar 2011, 01:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Question Re: Strange sound coming from the Air Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Cruzer View Post
Are you still getting full boost? Do you have a boost gauge?
No not yet... I ordered one...I realy need one right? damn! do you think I have a boost leak? or a turbo compressor problem?

Thank you Daniel
Old 28 Mar 2011, 01:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Boost leak, very common.

Get an air compressor with built-in regulator, a boost leak tester (DIY or purchased), and an inline-filter for the compressor (to prevent moisture from going through the system from the compressor) and perform a leak test.

Here's my leak tester -

Bought it from ModernPerforance - MPx 2.5" Boost Leak Tester - Boost Leak Testers
Old 28 Mar 2011, 03:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
Boost leak, very common.

Get an air compressor with built-in regulator, a boost leak tester (DIY or purchased), and an inline-filter for the compressor (to prevent moisture from going through the system from the compressor) and perform a leak test.

Here's my leak tester -

Bought it from ModernPerforance - MPx 2.5" Boost Leak Tester - Boost Leak Testers
Hey great! I'll do... I think my frien with the srt4 has one... A question.,... my boost gauge seems to be taking years to arrive, how about the sunpro gauges? are they reliable? I saw one here at a local autozone for 15 bucks... I mean just to see of theres something wrong with the boost...

Daniel
Old 28 Mar 2011, 10:09 am
Senior Cruiser

If you're going to install a boost gauge, don't cheap out. A good one will only cost you like 70 shipped, and another 5-20 for some type of mount depending on where you decide to install it.

Last edited by Kawizx9r; 28 Mar 2011 at 10:11 am.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 11:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok... so I made my boost leak thingy... and damn! you where right Kawizx9r!!!! Hugeeee Boost leak!, Coming from the turbo to intercooler hose, right in the turbo end!, so I got a screw driver and can you belive that I turn the thing like 10 times till it start to get tight? damn!... then run the test again and a little to none leak in the bypas balve from the turbo, so I just tight one screw and that was all! damn! the car feels diferent! BUT! the noise from the airbox still there, its more like a air sucking sound, that starts like at 30 mph and last like 2 seconds and then I hear the sopool very loud!, I removes all the silensers... So I was wondering.. maby thats a normal thing with the stock air box and no resonators or silensers, but nobody has answered this, I dont feel any lost of power...Today I was in 2nd gear and a stupid guy allmost hit me in the side, so I floor it, and it was like a damn Dodge Charger! loud engine sound and went to first gear in like a second and tires squeeling, plus the spool... I was like Damn! now I wonder why this thing its underated

Well that was my day... Hope some one can tell me if this air sucking thingy its a normal thing... no more Boost leaks and nope no lost power... I was wondering and if my waste gate is bad? How can I confirm that? is there a test?

Thank you
Daniel

Last edited by niel; 29 Mar 2011 at 11:28 pm.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 06:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

mmmm still the sound, I was looking at waste gate problems in other sites, but none of the cases are like mine, so I think I'll forguet about the waste gate... or anyone that knows a commond problem in our pt's wastegates?

Thanx Daniel