PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Spark plug gap.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Spark plug gap.

Just recently purchased 2005 GT Turbo. I am upgrading ignition wires and have more or less decided on champion copper plugs but I have seen many posts with plug gaps that are less than the 50 the manual calls for. Could someone explain the purpose of say a .40 gap and what is best for the Turbo. I would appreciate any information. I'm new to this.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 09:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Spark plug gap.

The .040 gap was a TSB put out by Chrysler for the Non-Turbo vehicles. Not exactly sure why but I think the gap at .050 was OK from the beginning but as the plugs wore, that gap opened up so much that it was causing problems. Starting at .040 the plugs would last longer.

From what I found out in a search, the Turbo runs well with copper plugs gapped at .035
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 31 Mar 2011, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. There was a lot on plugs wires etc... but for us newbies not too much information on why certain plugs, wires are better. I do realize that there are a lot of different opinions also. I appreciate your explanation.
Now my next question is what simple modifications will help performance or just be better for the car? Example air cleaners, exhaust etc.. Again thanks in advance.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 12:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You chose the best plugs for the turbo. I use the stock Copper Plus plugs in both my '04 GT and my modified '05 SRT-4 (same motor and turbo as the GT). Some folks will try to sell you on the irridium plugs, but they are over-hyped and overpriced. Both of my turbo cars run excellent. You'll want to get better spark plug wires. I've used both MSD and Magnecor plug wires and they work and last great. As for the rest, how far do you want to go? A little more performance can be had with a plug and play Stage 1 upgrade. You'd have to buy one used as they are no longer made. A nice 2 1/2" flow through exhaust. A K&N drop in filter. Some will try to sell you on a a supposedly cold air intake, but they really suck power robbing hot air. They are also way overpriced. A drop in filter allows you to keep the enclosed stock system that does not suck hot air. After that performance gets more expensive and a bit more complicated. Where are you going with this?
Old 31 Mar 2011, 01:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info.. I will start with minor changes and then see how hooked I am. It only has 38,000 mile on a 2005 and runs great so I'll go slow and see if the expensive mods are worth it. Air filter and exhaust should not be a problem I will look into that soon. Car is getting plugs and MSD wires today with .40 gap. What does stage 1 upgrade consist of?
Old 01 Apr 2011, 04:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel
Wink Re: Spark plug gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2005 View Post
Thanks for the info.. I will start with minor changes and then see how hooked I am. It only has 38,000 mile on a 2005 and runs great so I'll go slow and see if the expensive mods are worth it. Air filter and exhaust should not be a problem I will look into that soon. Car is getting plugs and MSD wires today with .40 gap. What does stage 1 upgrade consist of?
Its a computer mod, where they change or update the software, and you have better performnce, I think that you dont need to add bigger injectors, cause its a 2005 only 2003 to 2004... and has a lot of plus, every one wants one.. Me included lol but its so hard to find a computer like that, and if you find one they are like $800+ The thing that I dont know because Im really a Its that Diablo sport thingy... how does that work, I've seen some clips on you tube but thats all.. I made my research arroun the forum but dont understan in simple words... So any one?... I know that theres a "JET PERFORMANCE STAGE 1 CHIP" But it sucks from what I have read

Daniel
Old 15 Jun 2012, 01:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
the Turbo runs well with copper plugs gapped at .035
I have also read to gap at about .032 and numourous different plugs and wires

I can't get alot of the wires mentioned such as msd and Magnecor plug wires and more. I know I can get a few off ebay but my car is going in on Thursday 21/06/2012 and there is no way they would get here before then.
I am supplying the parts for them (plugs and wires)
I can get NGK wires and Bosch wires what do you guys suggest I get out of the 2 choices? Also what do you think about the champion copper plugs or would you suggest something different or what's comparable and what is the right answer for the gap on the plugs? I am new to the turbo stuff so please try not to harp on me I did a search and this thread is what I came up with that might help me out the most
Thanks
Old 15 Jun 2012, 01:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Standard Motor products has stock resistance specs-
They'll work just as well (perhaps better) than any, more expensive wire.

NAPA would have similar- OE Quality, don't let them sell you on a 'performance wire'

And plugs are already covered?! Champion, Copper plus; inexpensive and they work.