Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
If you have changed a Turbo you may have the answer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2011, 09:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Default If you have changed a Turbo you may have the answer

Nice warm sunny day, and I grabbed the tool box at 8:00 to begin installing my new Turbo. It dropped into place fairly easy once I found out there is a small pin in the edge of the exhaust manifold that you need to align with the big washer and the Turbo. I put on the clamp, and tightened that down so all was snug. Here is where I have run into a problem! The oil return line is driving me nuts. I put in one bolt when I was mounting the Turbo, as the oil return flange is slotted, so obviously, the idea is the flange can be pulled into position up against the bolt, and that should align the back bolt, so it's not a hunting game to find the second hole. I cannot, and I spent at least 3 hours trying, get the flange to move ahead far enough to wrap around the bolt so I can start to tighten it. I can feel both sides of the slot touching the edge of the threads with my fingers, but no way will it come forward fully into place. The return pipe was not bent when the Turbo came off the car. Also, there is the gasket to worry about. You can't see S---, and it's all touch. I have used a mirror to get a look, but hardly any room to align it to get a decent look. I don't know if you can get at it from under the car on a hoist, but from what I can tell, that maybe impossible. Has anyone ran into the same problem, and if so, what was the solution? Seems like a wasted Sunday, but what the heck, that's life.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 05:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: If you have changed a Turbo you may have the answer

No replies, but I solved the problem by putting it up on a hoist and a body hanging out of the engine compartment 6 feet up in the air
Thanks for at least looking at my problem.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, I hadn't noticed this thread until today....lol.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 09:15 pm
Young Cruiser

I just noticed your post. Oh boy do I remember that issue, talk about frustrating, I think I solved the problem somehow by leaving the existing line in place, which was a huge risk considering my turbo failure was from a seized turbine. I had a one in four chance of leaving a clogged or restricted line in on a new $650 turbo, to cause the same thing all over. I guess I got lucky. But that's how frustrating that issue was! Glad u did it right and all is well!