Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brakes Easy to Overheat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2011, 09:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Brakes Easy to Overheat

Is there any way to fix my brakes from overheating so easily?
Before owning my GT, i owned 2 s10s, which weigh roughly the same as the GT, and i always drove the heck out of them and never had any brake malfunctions whatsoever. Then i get my GT and figure i could count on it better than them because it was newer and sportier and more fit to my kind of "spirited driving". So im coming over a hill at around 55-60, and at the bottom there is a sharp curve. I had went over it in those s10s hundreds of times at that same speed and applied the brakes the same way i did this time, and everything was always fine with them, but in my GT, by the time i reached the curve, the brakes had faded so bad, i had the brake pedal as far down as i could mash it and still went into the grass a little! Needless to say i am now afraid to go the least bit fast anywhere near a curve or hill, afraid it will happen again, or worse.
Sorry about the long story, but isn't there some kind of pads or something i could replace on it so i can go over hills with confidence without smelling the brakes? Something that dont get hot as easy or at least that stops quicker?
Old 06 Apr 2011, 09:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Brakes Easy to Overheat

Wow. I run the Tail of the Dragon at minimum three times a year, not counting all the trips up and down the Blueridge Parkway and all the other snakey back roads up in the mountains. Before last year, I ran time attacks on road courses. I've not changed a thing on my brakes, still factory rotors and pads, and I never have had brake fade nor any other brake issues. I do score my rotors before hitting the trails just to knock off any crud on my pads, but I've not ever experienced what you're talking about.

Last edited by Chromenut; 06 Apr 2011 at 09:57 pm.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 01:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel

I brake a lot!... has a lot in the forum know about m.. I live in a huge hill, and never got a problem! and its all stock!... I think you need to check your brakes, may be a leak, or a pad failure, even a disc failure I don't know... I brake a lot!
Old 07 Apr 2011, 04:07 am
Banned

No, the brakes are not easy to overheat! Mechanics do brake jobs everyday and you need one now.

Jerry
Old 07 Apr 2011, 08:50 am
Veteran Cruiser

Chrome, is that Crewzin right behind you in his Black & White?

Maybe someone put cheap friction on it. If a dealer sells it used, guess
what's going on it? Prolly riveted left over friction from when they were a Studebaker dealer ...
Old 07 Apr 2011, 11:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't go cheap on brake pads or rotors - get ceramic pads and decent rotors and you'll have great brakes.
NAPA has a selection - so does TireRack - got to the top end of the price and you'll have good brakes.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Apr 2011, 12:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talk to Adam at ThatRotorShop, he's great and has been providing excellent rotors for PT's for years now. He's also a member over at PTCrew.com if you want to go speak to him about his products.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Chrome, is that Crewzin right behind you in his Black & White?
You can see, looking closely at that left front tire, that I'm putting some pressure on it, got it pushing hard into the corners there. Nah, didn't see Crewzin's old B&W up there, but several others like it! Should come on over and do a drive up there, we got lots' of members here who would go!
Old 07 Apr 2011, 04:56 pm
Young Cruiser

So i'm guessing its probably the pads?
On those s10s i bought the cheapest pads aap had and they didnt affect the braking performance at all. But this car...i can clean the front wheels on it and drive it one day and never hit the brakes hard at all and the front wheels will be completely brown with brake dust. They kinda act like organic pads, but unless the previous owner changed them, i believe it still has the stock pads, which i have heard some people say they are bad for dust as well...
So if it IS the pads, i will replace them with better ones, but im not yet sold on ceramic. All the pads on every car/truck ive ever driven have had semi-metallic, and they seem to work fine, plus tire rack rates them lower on stopping power than semi-metallic. But the cheapest ceramics are about the same price as the expensive semi-metallics, so which one is the best at stopping power and brake fade?
Old 07 Apr 2011, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Air in your brake lines, back up to your cylinder, can also contribute to brake fade at heat. Feels sort of spongy when cold, then fades the hotter they get.