Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
LOCATION OF FAN RELAY IN 03 TURBO?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2011, 10:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Default LOCATION OF FAN RELAY IN 03 TURBO?

Does anyone know the location of the high speed fan relay, and the low speed fan relay? The owners manual and the power distribution box cover don't show them. The cover shows high speed and low speed for non turbos. Do the turbo and non turbo use the same fan?
Old 17 Apr 2011, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: LOCATION OF FAN RELAY IN 03 TURBO?

Under the hood on the drivers side near the air box. look really good and you will find it. Then under the cover (black) when you take it out, will tell you in detail what fuse number is for what. To test it, first check and see if your horn is working , if it is, switch out the horn relay with the fan relay and see if it works. Also you can unplug the fan plug under the driver side front and put ground in the middle connector and put 12volts on either wire near the middle ground connector. one wire is for low speed and the other is for high.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 07:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you read my post you would see that I removed the cover to the power distribution box, so I know where it is. There are open areas that normally for the non turbo have relay's, and they don't for the turbo. The cover and the owners manual don't show anything for the turbo. I would have thought that some one with gt turbo knowledge would know the answer to my question. Maybe the turbo requires a different fan than non turbo's, or the fan relay's are located somewhere else.

Last edited by littleblueGT; 18 Apr 2011 at 07:55 pm.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 05:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

I may be mis-remembering but I think the high/low speed fan is built into the PCM, no external relay that bumps the fan up to high if I remeber correctly.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 19 Apr 2011, 07:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the info Cal! I didn't think that the the PCM could run that much power to drive the fan unless there was a relay. I wonder why the turbo is different than the non turbo concerning the fan operation.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 01:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

The PCM doesn't power the fan, just tells it to turn on and off. Not sure if you are just asking out of curriosity or you have a problem with the fan. There IS a temp sensor. If you are having problems with the fan perhaps the sensor is bad and not sending the signal to the PCM. It has been known to happen.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 30 Apr 2011, 09:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Cal, this all started when I had the dealer replace my timing belt. When I took the GT in I informed them that the car was running great, and that the AC and tranny were working fine, and they should all be working fine when I pick it up. The AC stopped working after one week, so I took it back in. I told them that the fan wasn't coming on when I turned the AC on, but the fan would come on when the car warmed up. They screwed up the seals on the two AC lines during the timing belt change. It's been three weeks, and the AC is still working, but I haven't noticed the high speed fan kicking in. I asked the mechanic if he checked the pressure switch on the compressor as that may be a cause for the fan not working properly.The mechanic said that the fan is computer controlled, and that the low speed goes out first most of the time, and that he had been running my car for quite a while checking for AC leaks, and the fan worked fine. I went home and checked the owners manual, and removed the cover from the power distribution box to see where the high speed and low speed relays were, and there were none for the turbo, only the non-turbo. As you live in Hunington, and I live on Ontario the weather hasn't been real hot yet, so maybe that is why I haven't heard the high speed fan kick in yet.
Old 30 Apr 2011, 09:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

To add just a little bit to this thread. There's no high & Low speed of the fan for the turbo's. It is computer controlled and it's variable speed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turbo Radiator Fan

The radiator cooling fan is a variable speed electric motor driven fan. The radiator fan assembly includes an electric motor, fan blade, and a support shroud that is attached to the radiator. The radiator fan is serviced as an assembly (fan motor/fan/shroud).

The variable speed radiator fan is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) by way of a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal. The duty cycle ranges from 30% for low speed operation then ramps-up to 100% for high-speed operation. This fan control system provides infinitely variable fan speeds, allowing for improved fan noise, A/C performance, better engine cooling, and additional vehicle power.

To control radiator fan operation, the PCM looks at inputs from:

Engine coolant temperature
A/C pressure transducer
Ambient temperature
Vehicle speed
Transmission oil temperature (automatic transmission only)

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 30 Apr 2011 at 09:50 am.
Old 30 Apr 2011, 04:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Crewzin, thank you for the info! It would have been nice if the owners manual had that information. I also wanted to double check the info to find out if the dealer mechanic was blowing smoke up my butt. I take it the turbo fans and non-turbo fans are different then. My car is working, and not over heating, and the AC is still blowing cold, so I guess I'm concerned about nothing. Thanks again for the info.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have been reading the difrent issues with this, mainly because i have the same problem. i under stand that you say the 03 gt doese not have low speed or high speed relays.
My question is then why am I getting a code for low fan speed relay being bad?
And after I started getting the code my lights dim at like there is a problem with the fan. the fan spins freely not locked up or snaging like a fan thats going out. And im not talking about the normal pt light flicker it's a big dim at idle.