Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
5 speeds only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2003, 12:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default 5 speeds only

I posted this way back when I get my car, but since then many new educated people have come aboard, here is my question. When I shift from gear to gear, it seems the engine RPM's linger in the high range before dropping inbetween shifts. In other words, when building up RPM's / foot hits clutch/ the RPm's should drop quicker , I have gotten used to it now,. But in my detailing business I drive many different cars, most performance cars have quicker/tighter shifts/ with immediate RPM drop making shifts quicker and exact. Is this normal for our cars, and does the S1 (with computer upgrade) compensate for any change in shifting, Thanks Gary
Old 19 Dec 2003, 01:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Gary, check for a leak in your intake system somewhere, that will cause the RPMs to hang for a bit between shifts.
Old 19 Dec 2003, 04:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mine does that too, and many others I've driven do it too, I thinks it's normal
Patriot Blue 5-Spd, Stage I, Mopar BOV, BTG Intake, Custom 3\" Turbo-Back, Spring Mod, BTG Shock Tower Brace, Vogtland Springs, Koni Shocks, Eibach Sway Bars, Azev Type M 18x8.5 wheels, Ventus K104 tires, Projector Bi-Xenon Lights, Rear spoiler, Autometer Gauges, Illuminated sill plates, K&N Oil Filter, Mopar subwoofer. Mexico City. See pics: http://www.sportcarsforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=715
Old 19 Dec 2003, 04:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Mine did it too. Now after about 10,000 miles and a few mods I don't notice it so much. I am trying to remember if adding the BOV to the atmosphere instead of the stock recirculating one had an effect on it or what.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 19 Dec 2003, 04:42 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

When I had my 2003 GT five-speed it did the same thing up until the time I got rid of it at 6400 miles. From everything I have read/heard this is normal. Also, I would fully agree with you that "... most performance cars have quicker/tighter shifts/ with immediate RPM drop making shifts quicker and exact." This was one reason I went with the Autostick when I was given the opportunity to move into a 2004 GT--no regrets whatsoever. If you do a search of forum posts comparing the performance of "5-speed vs. autostick" there appears not to be a whole lot of difference "at the track" between the two. Just my two cents.
Old 19 Dec 2003, 04:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

I do recall, on BOTH the 5spd's I test drove they DID do that, like as if I was still slightly on the throttle, Then I punched it and speed shifted it and could barely tell (quick shift), but on normal driving, it seemed kinda 'wrong'. Even the SRT4 I test drove, did it TOO,....my 02 Stew
Old 19 Dec 2003, 05:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's completely normal. It helps with the emmisions. It bothered me with my last car but I got used to it. It is more pronounced with the GT, but I've gotten used to it as well.

Bruce.
Old 19 Dec 2003, 05:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah, what Bruce said. Ours does it too. It's normal.

Mike
Old 19 Dec 2003, 08:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes, it's normal. It's called a 'shift flare'. If you also heal & toe, the smoothing nature of the idle air control motor (a miniature electronic throttle) makes the throttle stabs necessary for proper downshifting much BIGGER - i.e. you have to work at it (my pedals are modded to be closer together to help with this). This same smoothing causes the shift flare.

So you might say my sporting sensibilities are a bit offended by my own product. But, yea it helps us squeeze big power out of a car that still passes emissions.
Old 19 Dec 2003, 09:43 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks to all who posted, now I feel better/ Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips