Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine switch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2011, 09:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Engine switch?

Hey y'all does anyone know if I can use an engine from a 04 gt in my 03 gt? Also are there any issues if I just want to swap the heads from the 04 to the 03? I had my 03 gt in the shop for a timing belt and they told me I need a new engine because the front cam welded itself due to lack of oil (lack of oil was a result of the oil unit and or the valve cover gasket and plug seals went
bad.
I am unsure why these failed. Possibly from age, 113000 miles. I question if there is a issue I haven't addressed which may have triggered these failures.
At any rate the shop offered to replace the engine for either $3000-$4000 depending if I want a 100 day warranty or a three year warranty.
Ive located a 04 turbo engine for a fair price so I'd like to do it myself. Any help with advice or "heads-up" would be and has always been greatly appreciated.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Engine switch?

"bigbad",
I am knee-deep in replacing a spent '03 with an '04 'long block' I salvaged from a yard. It's not a turbo, but I think I can make it work without any issues. I point this out because the yard said an '03 was a single year engine and an '04 was a single year engine. However, I found in one of the PTCruiser posts a link to an article from an engine rebuilder magazine that suggests they are the same basic block and head between these two years.

Here is the link to the article if you want to review. It seems pretty detailed.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Cont...0000002282.pdf

I asked a couple of questions of the forum before I started and received only token responses so I really wonder if any member really attempted the swap or if they were only quoting what they had read in other posts. I received no really definitive answers.

I thought I would pull the engine out the top as I had read in a few posts that it was possible, but after removing most of the items listed, I still don't see how it will come out. Very little room. What I don't visualize is how I find enough room to separate the block from the tranny. It looks like it has to move at least two inches to the left (passenger side) for the drive plate to clear the bell housing. There's not that much room.

I've modified my plan now after viewing a post (don't recall who posted), but this member dropped the unit on to a very low dolly, like a furniture dolly, and then used the engine hoist to raise the body to allow the dolly to roll out the driver side wheel well. Looks like a plan to me.

Hope this helps you. I know the feeling of desperation when you learn the engine is toast.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Engine switch?

"bigbad"
Looking for some information of my own, I found the post from the member lifting the Cruiser body with the engine hoist. Search for "Engine Swap" posted by luckybadazzboy. Lots of pictures of what you might run into.