Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
bad boost leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2011, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default bad boost leak

So, for a while I have only been able to boost at 7psi on my 06 gt. I finally got around to doing a boost leak test. There was 1 medium leak at about 5psi, so I fixed it. I then went to 10 psi, and the wga was leaking like crazy. I could not get above 10 psi. On the wga, it looks as though it is made from 2 pieces that are bolted together. The leak is coming from the crack between the 2 pieces of metal. I have been thinking about getting a new wga anyway, but then heard about the ptb. How would I go about either fixing the ptb on a new wga or fix the stock one I have?
Old 27 Apr 2011, 01:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: bad boost leak

Wow .... I think you will have to wait for a GT owner to reply. I have N/A PT's, and have never had a look at a GT engine ... but I have had major boost leaks on my VW, always from a bad hose or the Diaphram in the Recirculation Valve (VW recirculates the after MAF air instead of Wasting it).

Good luck.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 27 Apr 2011, 03:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

You can grab a stock (used) WGA for next to nothing on the SRTForums. It's best to see if there's a Local SRTForum (there are alot trust me) and ask there.

If you want to upgrade, I'd go with an FM (Forward Motion) WGA or S2 (Stage 2).

You'll have PTB issues if you go with something from AGP or any other brand as far as I know.

Your stock surge valve is prone to leaking as well as you just stated. I capped mine off (block off plate) and run an HKS SSQV BOV and love it, but the upgrade+aftermarket cold up-pipe will cost you a pretty penny.

Anyway, start from the WGA and work your way from there.

PTCrew.com has a mod bible that has just about any and all upgrades you can think of, broken down for you so even your average Joe can do it.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 05:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So, after reading some, it sounds like with the FM wastegate, there is not much PTB. Why does the FM wastegate have less PTB than a AGP?

Last edited by e_baer; 27 Apr 2011 at 05:53 pm.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 04:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel

I would like to know what your talking about, I think I understand the wastegate boost leak and the bov leak, Im not runing a Boost gauge yet but soon I'll run one and would like to know what psi to expect and what its all that FM, PTB, AGP, WGA, I mean i read and try to understand like the forward motion.. but Im stuck hehehe... I would like to know... just for the knowledge ... BTW I did a boost leak and didnt put too much attention to the wastegate actuator? but I think I have none over there cause I was having a huge boost leak from the turbo clamp on the turbo to intercooler hose, and the blue plate but after I tight those two things, I have a fully inflated intercooler to turbo hose and no loss of pressure so I think its fine but I would like to know how does a wastegate leak looks like or feels... thank you guys

Daniel
Old 28 Apr 2011, 10:23 am
Senior Cruiser

FM - Wastegate maker
AGP - Wastegate maker
PTB - Partial Throttle Boost
WGA - Waste Gate Actuator

It is a good idea to use t-bolt clamps on all of your connections, and check and tighten all of your connecitons on a regular basis. They tend to loosen up, especially just the worm clamp types
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 28 Apr 2011, 11:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Cruzer View Post
FM - Wastegate maker
AGP - Wastegate maker
PTB - Partial Throttle Boost
WGA - Waste Gate Actuator

It is a good idea to use t-bolt clamps on all of your connections, and check and tighten all of your connecitons on a regular basis. They tend to loosen up, especially just the worm clamp types
Ow! thanks now everything makes sense
Old 28 Apr 2011, 11:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_baer View Post
So, after reading some, it sounds like with the FM wastegate, there is not much PTB. Why does the FM wastegate have less PTB than a AGP?
Anyone?
Old 28 Apr 2011, 11:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Wink Re: bad boost leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_baer View Post
Anyone?
wait... Im sure some one will answer at its time be patient
Old 28 Apr 2011, 01:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Be sure to zip tie all vacuum hoses. They will leak and pop off occasionally. Then it is real fun to find where they were attached. Make a boost leak checker and really see if there are leaks.