Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
premium vs regular

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2011, 05:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default premium vs regular

when gas prices get to $5 or $6 will you stop using premium and go to regular?

I've been using reg since the 2nd tank when I bought the car new and it has yet to ping once. I took the back seat out and ran against my son's 84 IROC Z28 and beat him each time...on reg (14.8 in summer heat). Been up in the mountains during the summer and car loaded...no ping.

I run a bottle of Techron every so often to remove any carbon build up.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 10:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: premium vs regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SPEED View Post
when gas prices get to $5 or $6 will you stop using premium and go to regular?

I've been using reg since the 2nd tank when I bought the car new and it has yet to ping once. I took the back seat out and ran against my son's 84 IROC Z28 and beat him each time...on reg (14.8 in summer heat). Been up in the mountains during the summer and car loaded...no ping.

I run a bottle of Techron every so often to remove any carbon build up.
While you can run regular your engine has a knock sensor that will kill the predentonation by pulling timing before you would ever know it is happening. You are sacrificing performance for the sake of a couple dollars a tankload. Why do people go into a car knowing it needs premium THEN worry about buying it? Should be the other way around.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 28 Apr 2011, 02:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Cruzer View Post
While you can run regular your engine has a knock sensor that will kill the predentonation by pulling timing before you would ever know it is happening. You are sacrificing performance for the sake of a couple dollars a tankload. Why do people go into a car knowing it needs premium THEN worry about buying it? Should be the other way around.
Agreed. Why buy a car you are to cheap to use the right gas? All for the sake of a couple of bucks a fill up. How sad. By the way, the 84 IROC Z28 is bloated and slow. Not a real test. That was a period of time when cars had the name, but were heavy and underpowered. The Camaro, the Firebird, the oh my, the piece of crap they called a Mustang II. Terrible time for cars.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 02:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

The delta of 20 cents a gallon at 5$ is less than that at 2.50$

So your paying 4% more for premium at 5$ than 8% at 2.50

I guess if your just commuting and not hammering the car, and want to save 20 Cents per gallon go for it. Might not matter much in the winter when it is cooler out but may when it is 98 degrees and your booting it in traffic with the AC Cranking this summer.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 28 Apr 2011, 04:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Guys, I'm sure I read that for our Australian Model Pt it was recommended to use normal unleaded or the 10% ethanol blend.Our premium is normally 10cents a litre dearer or 45cents a gallon more. I tried the E10 fuel once and it missed like there was a dud spark plug but came back to normal on unleaded again. A difference I have noted between countries is the Octane rating. Ours is 91 for unleaded,then 95 and 98 for the top premiums. NZ's unleaded is higher than ours but like us the same countywide. In USA doesn't your unleaded go from 84 up to 91 or something like that depending on your altitude?
Old 28 Apr 2011, 06:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Our grades are Regular 87 Octane, mid grade 89 Octane Premium 91 or 93 Octane depending on the state.

all gas in my area has 10% blend of ethanol. This has cost most people 1-2mpg since there is less BTU content in the ethanol blend so all this hoopla about extending the fuel is wiped out by lower MPG

In my area Maine Regular is 3.90 a gal, mid grade 4.00 and Premium 4.10.
The spread is always the same, 10 cents between each.

00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
Old 28 Apr 2011, 10:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi VNT,I didn't realize the fuel could be so different between country's, My wife and I did a holiday in New Zealand and I couldn't get over that our hire car flew in pick up until I noticed the regular unleaded was 96 or somewhere round there ,abit higher than aussie fuel. At the moment we are paying $1.50/litre for regular unleaded and $1.55/litre for Diesel. I think your US gallon is 4 litres so that makes it $6.00 and $6.20 for comparison. Enjoy your prices!
Old 28 Apr 2011, 11:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Be careful running ethanol loaded fuel in these cars. Ethanol eats seals, dries out lines, is great for keeping moisture down in your tank and lines when sitting, but shortens the life of everything it touches. Also, if your running a turbo good luck keeping it together over the long run. Only time I've ever put regular in my GT is when the gas stations ran out of Premium. Add to it, about once every three months I run a half tank of race fuel through it, that's anywhere from 101 to 105 octane, and when I run at the track I run 110 that I get from Waltrip Racing. Expensive as all hell, but boy does the car run like a scalded ape. Runs hot though, so it's not something I'd run daily!!!

93 is right for me....
Old 29 Apr 2011, 01:27 am
Senior Cruiser

The small percentage of ethanol found in gasoline today is not enough to 'eat away at seals', etc. There are people who run pure E85 on modern cars with no issues.

99% of the rubber seals, vacuum lines, etc. that would be catastrophically damaged by ethanol were phased out long before the PT Cruiser came out. I believe there may be one or two lines on the original 01-02 PTs that MAY need to be replaced if you're running pure E85, but it's not necessary by any means.

It's true that if you use a high concentration of ethanol, that you'll need to increase the amount of fuel being fed to the motor-- larger injectors and/or rescale, but in most cases, you'll be fine.

Old 29 Apr 2011, 09:11 am
Senior Cruiser

You dont have much choice, most fuel has 10% ethanol in it because of the farm lobby.

They are pushing to get 15% which will be worse and the Auto OEM's say any car not deemed flex fuel cannot tolerate 15% and 10% is the limit.

If the special interests get the 15% we will get even worse fuel ecnonomy.

Note ethanol in fuel is a big problem for 2 storkes and small engines and marine. Ruins the engines.

00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4