PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Power Steering Belt Squeaky.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2011, 05:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Power Steering Belt Squeaky.

Hey all.

Since daytime temps dropped back down into the 40's my power steering belt has begun chirping. I'm figuring 3 probable causes... A: Bad belt. B: Bad pulley. C: Bad tensioner.

Any likely suspects here? I'm gonna start by replacing the belt and see if that solves the problem... if not will go from there.
Old 02 May 2011, 03:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Power Steering Belt Squeaky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
Hey all.

Since daytime temps dropped back down into the 40's my power steering belt has begun chirping. I'm figuring 3 probable causes... A: Bad belt. B: Bad pulley. C: Bad tensioner.

Any likely suspects here? I'm gonna start by replacing the belt and see if that solves the problem... if not will go from there.
It's normally the belt tensioner itself..... Replace it and see if it helps, there is a TSB out that says the pulleys need lined up... like they are off centerline which causes them to squeal.... hope that helps...

SOLD-----K&N FIPK CAI, MSD wires, NGK plugs
03 Dream Cruiser series 2 #1489,5sp
k&N FIPK CAI, MSD 8MM wires, NGK iridium plugs, oil catch can, AGP wastegate, Mopar BOV,Mopar Boost Gauge,Stage 1 injectors,DSP Sport tuner,VSR Anima 18" wheels, Kelly 225-40-18 tires, 3" cat delete downpipe, APS SS dual exhaust.

Now owner of a black CSRT stage 1.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 05:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf55555 View Post
It's normally the belt tensioner itself..... Replace it and see if it helps, there is a TSB out that says the pulleys need lined up... like they are off centerline which causes them to squeal.... hope that helps...
I'm having the loud squeal problem when the car starts, especially if it's damp in the morning. Is this pulley lineup the likely cause. It's sounds dreadful. Whe you say there is a TSB out, does that mean Chrysler will pay for the repair?
Thanks,
Matt
Old 17 Jun 2011, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemat View Post
When you say there is a TSB out, does that mean Chrysler will pay for the repair?
Thanks,
Matt
No. A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin that the mechanics use to make repairs on a known problem. It's not a recall and Chrysler won't pay for it unless your still under warranty.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.