Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spark Plug Wire Resistance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 May 2011, 10:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Spark Plug Wire Resistance

What is the normal resistance range for the stock spark plug wires? I am going to check mine to see if they are going bad(since everyone says they go bad early) and need to know what resistance #s Im looking for.
Old 03 May 2011, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Spark Plug Wire Resistance

I believe anything under a K Ohm is okay. Good wires are less than 100 ohms.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 May 2011, 10:58 am
Young Cruiser

Under a thousand ohms for the stock wires?!? Wow, I'm used to stock wires being up around 3-5k ohms. lol
Old 03 May 2011, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, the Crane wires I replaced the stock wires with advertised less than 25 ohms per foot, and the wires are only a couple feet long......
Old 03 May 2011, 03:33 pm
Banned

The stock wires come from the factory between 2400 to 8900 ohms. Not only are those numbers high, they also show a lack of quality control with that broad a range.

Jerry
Old 03 May 2011, 05:51 pm
Young Cruiser

I dont know if thats the range they come with, or just the range that they are 'usable' in the car?
So if the wires are within that range, they should be good, correct? (except dirty connections, tears, etc. of course)

Last edited by 05PTGT; 03 May 2011 at 05:58 pm.
Old 03 May 2011, 09:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
The stock wires come from the factory between 2400 to 8900 ohms. Not only are those numbers high, they also show a lack of quality control with that broad a range.

Jerry
Jerry's right, this is exactly how mine measured out, and sux because no two were close, so spark times and current flow were really off. Replaced with a set of Crane Firewires, which were supposedly lower impedance. Well, they are but they run from 250 ohms to 375 ohms, still not good enough. Bought some Taylors and they are 25 to 35 ohms each, darned nice plug wires.

You can get the MSD's, but they are expensive but good. Whatever you get, make sure the diameter is 8mm or greater. The MSD's are 8.5mm, Summit Racing makes some fairly decent 8mm wires that aren't too pricey, then there are the Granatelli's. Well, what can you say about the best wires out there? Around $35 to $50 for a set, depending on where you get them, and they average 2 ohms per wire at 9mm in diameter! They are THE BEST. You will always find someone who wants to knock whatever you say is great, but for anyone knocking Grans, they are uninformed or just plain ignorant.

I have a set sitting at home waiting for me to get there to install them. I wanted to run down here to Florida for one last trip on my Taylor's to get a good feel for how they compare with the Grans, as my next trip to FL will be with them installed.

If you want to read one of the best write-ups on wires, just go visit Modern Performance's comparison test on Magnecors (almost as bad as factory), Mopar's performance wires, Accel, MSD's and Grans. Funny thing, or maybe ironic, is that the measurements they took on those wires is extremely close to the measurements I took when comparing factory to Cranes to MSD to Grans.

Personally, I'll never again buy anything but Granatelli, unless Taylor or MSD make a 9mm double-shielded set.
Old 03 May 2011, 09:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel

interesting.... I learned something new today.. thank you guys

Daniel
Old 06 May 2011, 07:28 pm
Young Cruiser

So if all the wires test within that range they should still be good(except poor connections, rips/tears, etc)?
Old 06 May 2011, 10:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dude, anything over 250 ohms but less than 1000 is considered marginal. 100 to 250 is considered good. Under 100 is excellent. Then there are Granatelli's, the spark doesn't even go down the wires, you just think it does and it'll jump the gap using osmosis....lmao.... anything over 1k ohms, give it to your friends who drive SRT-4's, they'll think they are race wires....