Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
auto vs shifting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2011, 12:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default auto vs shifting

The other day my wife jumped all over me and asked why I don't just put the shifter in "D" and leave it alone. I told her I can short shift and save gas as long as the turbo isn't spinning up and besides that it takes getting up to 40mph just to get it in to 4th when I can accelerate ever so gradually and be in 4th by 25mph.

she said OOh, that makes sense....besides that I have to live up to my "handle" (4speed it's in da blood)

so what do you do?
Old 03 May 2011, 12:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: auto vs shifting

well i put it in D and drive
Old 03 May 2011, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Gave up shifting a long time ago.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 May 2011, 09:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SPEED View Post
The other day my wife jumped all over me and asked why I don't just put the shifter in "D" and leave it alone. I told her I can short shift and save gas as long as the turbo isn't spinning up and besides that it takes getting up to 40mph just to get it in to 4th when I can accelerate ever so gradually and be in 4th by 25mph.

she said OOh, that makes sense....besides that I have to live up to my "handle" (4speed it's in da blood)

so what do you do?
From your handle, I'm figuring you have an autostick? If you drive soft, the computer will shift the car at the most economical rpm possible. You cannot outshift the computer. If you have a standard auto, are you doing the 1-2-1 thing to shift through the gears? I do that occasionally when I'm wide open. There really is no reason to ever shift the car for ordinary purposes. I think the mileage would certainly be worse, even with autostick.
Old 10 May 2011, 10:01 am
Cool Cruiser

The only time I use the autostick feature is when I need to hold a gear for boosting purposes, such as getting on the interstate. Otherwise I leave it in D and let the computer shift when it wants to.

With "shiftable" automatics you aren't actually shifting the transmission. Bumping the stick/paddles/whatever simply sends an electronic signal to the transmission requesting an upshift/downshift, the computer still decides when this is or isn't apropriate... which can lead to a few seconds of lag.

It's a fun toy to play with, but it's not going to save you any gas.
Old 11 May 2011, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: auto vs shifting

1. After I read all the threads about the weak auto tranny in the turbo, I kept away from the autostick in the vert. (traded her for the new Couture)

2. I am selling soonercruiser soon, since all the shifting is paying heck with my regular schedule of knee scoping for torn cartiladge ever 10 years!

3. Getting old, is "getting old".
But, the alternative is not great either!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 25 May 2011, 08:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel

I use it when Im going like 60 mph and need to boost and pass a car... I down shift to 3rd and hit the gas... the 4th gear its the bad one so I just hold it in 3rd till I get far from the car Im passing... and then put it in 4th or D and drive normal... The other day I did a 20mph to 80mph pull i was in 2nd then hit the shift to 3rd till 70 and 5k rpm then put it and D and it was like a rocket... Im still learning the autostick technique hehehe but its fun when you need it... its on hand but at the city I only drive in D

Daniel
Old 27 May 2011, 02:48 am
Cool Cruiser

Hey I was wondering if its bad for the tranny to go from 4th to 3rd when I'm doing 60mph? I mean... I have drive it like that and not a problem at all but a dude told me today that that will kill my tranny... so any advice? I mean...I don't want to boost on 4th so I need to go down to 3rd...thank you guys

Daniel
Old 27 May 2011, 06:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Better start saving for another tranny.
Old 27 May 2011, 10:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Damn... Can anybody tell me how to drive an autostick with out damaging anything? PLEASEE! man I drive it in D all the time but I never boost in 4th so I supposed that I can shift down any time just watching the RPM not to go RED... but seems that I'm sucking on this so any advise please... Ive search the forum and all I can find is the same "never boost in 4th its the weakest link in the transmission so Help !

Thank
Daniel