PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 PT GT-R

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 May 2011, 09:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 PT GT-R

It's not impossible like they say. We successfully turned a 2008 turbo lite into a 230hp GT with a little engineering.

For anyone with a 2006 and up turbo lite wanting that 50 hp Chrysler took away, this is for you.

First thing is to locate a PCM from a 2006 GT auto if you have auto, or manual if you have a stick. They are not interchangeable. You must be certain that the VIN from the PCM has a 7 in the 6th digit. Nothing else with work, since 7 is the PCM containing the factory program for the 230 hp you're after. Once that is done, the PCM must be flashed with your car's VIN. Lot's of shops around will do it anywhere from $100 to $175.

Next step is to deactivate the SKIM module. You should not plug in your new PCM with the SKIM still active in the bus. The module may try to overwrite the VIN stored in it (The original VIN) and wipe out the new flash. It needs to be disconnected first

Three screws need to come out so that the lower sterring column shroud can be dropped. It helps to drop the lower dash panel as well.

Now the SKIM/WCM module is exposed.

Start the car as usual, and then disconnect the SKIM harness while it's running.

The car will continue to run. You've just bypassed the SKIM, and if you turn off the car, it will restart with the SKIM disconnected, because the TCM and PCM have already been given the info they need. Turn off the car and disconnect the battery terminal. Time to unplug the PCM harness and plug in the new one. My car is an auto, so I have 4 terminals. A manual would have 3.

Reconnect the battery terminal and start the car. Poof! 230 hp.

One problem we had was the loss of the remote doorlocks. No SKIM means no remote functions. A few times the car alarm went off blowing the horn, and flashing the lights. The starter was also disabled. The car is not going to like missing the SKIM module.

1. If you reconnect the SKIM, will it try to overwrite the new VIN in the new PCM? Unknown. You'd expect it to be fine since the VIN in the module AND the new PCM match, but I didn't want to chance it, and have to get the PCM reflashed. Maybe someone could clarify this.

2. The RKE (remote module) can be reprogrammed. I wonder if the SKREEM/SKIM can be half-way utilized. Enough that the remote functions will operate. On 2006 and up, I guess the RKE and SKIM are all-in one.

Other than that, the car obviously picked up a boat load of power. The difference between the lite and the GT programming is night and day. Now the turbo can be heard while on boost, the car pulls like a freight train from a dead stop, and mashing the throttle while on a roll lifts the front end up and no loss of boost is easily felt by the driver. 50 hp is hard to not notice.
Where the Lite would drop off boost quickly, the GT doesn't. It keeps on boosting until the shift.

The test was to prove all of the naysayers wrong. "You cannot turn a 2008 into a GT"

Yes you can

If anyone has more info on the SKIM module dilemna, please chime in.
rasputin likes this.

Last edited by mangopuppy3; 10 May 2011 at 09:38 am.
Old 09 May 2011, 06:06 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 PT GT-R

Nice but the turbo lite only came with the auto tranny.
Old 09 May 2011, 10:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
Nice but the turbo lite only came with the auto tranny.
I think that's correct. This mod is for everything past 2006. If you want a GT 5 speed, you'd have to do all of this, plus change the car to manual. PTGT's were made with autos also. It is not as easy to find those PCM's, but you can. I did. The side benefit of the GT PCM for 2006 is that it can be programmed

Some transmission shops produce killer 41TEs for these cars (and Neons) able to withstand huge power. I've been racing a long time, and automatics are the king.

Last edited by mangopuppy3; 09 May 2011 at 10:51 am.
Old 09 May 2011, 02:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangopuppy3 View Post
you'd have to do all of this, plus change the car to manual.

I did that once (a long time ago) when the mods I did to my 57' Chevy were too much for the automatic trans. What a PITA. No computer to worry about but throwing is a manual tranny isn't like changing light bulbs. A heck a lot of work plus adding the clutch pedal and linkage. Not for the faint of heart or someone with little experience.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 May 2011, 08:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Good job bro!!!!
Old 10 May 2011, 09:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN8060 View Post
Good job bro!!!!
Thanks to all of the folks on here. Couldn't (wouldn't) have tried it without the knowledge base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
What a PITA... Not for the faint of heart or someone with little experience.
You're not kidding!!!!! I think it's easier to do the '57 than the PT! Could you imagine reaching under the dash for the pedal linkage and all of the other stuff? Not me!

I found a shop online who will match the PCM to the WCM for $150. If you go that far, your car is a total GT that can be programmed. No need at all for the staged PCM ($500?), if you can get one.

My PCM is for sale if anyone wants it. I was only experimenting, and now I've proven my point. PM me if you'd like it. Any 2006 and up turbo lite with an automatic.

Last edited by mangopuppy3; 11 May 2011 at 06:21 pm.
Old 11 May 2011, 08:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

wow! nice job man!...i am new here i just got my 08 pt turbo lite on feb and i really would love to ad those extra hp...im open for other any suggestions...
Old 11 May 2011, 08:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2008 PT GT-R

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08 Pt Turbo.jpg (49.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 11 May 2011, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Do you still have this '06 GT turbo ECM?
Old 11 May 2011, 06:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysofa View Post
Do you still have this '06 GT turbo ECM?
PM'd

Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR