PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hard Starting GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 May 2011, 02:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hard Starting GT

Hello,

I've been trying to figure this one out for month or so and I need some advice.

I have a 2004 GT with 89,000 miles. It's recently developed a hard starting issue after the car sits for several hours. If the car is warm it fires right up. It has a new battery and the alternator tested fine. The starter turns and doesn't sound distressed, but the car sometimes won't start on the first try or it turns a litte and dies.

Plugs and wires are 9 months old, all maintenance has been done on time. the car runs fine once it's started except for some some vibration in "D" at a stop. No CEL.

Any ideas?
Old 12 May 2011, 03:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hard Starting GT

Couple of questions. Did you have the hard starting problem before and after the plugs and wires change? What wires and what plugs are you running and what gap on the plugs are you using?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 May 2011, 03:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Couple of questions. Did you have the hard starting problem before and after the plugs and wires change? What wires and what plugs are you running and what gap on the plugs are you using?
I had the plugs and wires changed 9 months ago. The hard starting has only been an issue for about a month. The plugs are champions copper core and the wires are beldin. I had a shop do the plugs so I don't know the gap.
Old 12 May 2011, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

According to the guys on this forum with Turbos, the gap is even smaller than the non-turbo, somewhere around .032 in, whereas the non-turbo is around .040. If whoever did the gap on yours, used around a .050 or .060 which a lot of cars use, that gap could have widened to a point where it would affect starting. Just a thought.

The Turbos are pretty easy to change the plugs as compared to the non-turbo where the upper manifold has to come off. if you can, take one plug out of yours just to check what the plug looks like and what the gap is.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 May 2011 at 12:34 pm.
Old 13 May 2011, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
According to the guys on this forum with Turbos, the gap is even smaller than the non-turbo, somewhere around .032 in, whereas the non-turbo is around .040. If whoever did the gap on yours, used around a .050 or .060 which a lot of cars use, that gap could have widened to a point where it would affect starting. Just a thought.

The Turbos are pretty easy to change the plugs as compared to the non-turbo where the upper manifold has to come off. if you can, take one plug out of yours just to check what the plug looks like and what the gap is.
Thank you for the insight. I was able to get two of the plugs out yesterday and they were both gapped at .055, they looked nice and clean though. I fixed them and will try to get at the other two once I get the right tool. I think a swivel would work? Also discovered that the o-rings in the valve cover were leaking as there was some fresh oil on the top of the plugs. I wonder if that could impact performance?

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 May 2011 at 12:34 pm.
Old 13 May 2011, 02:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

One possibility is low fuel pressure since it hard starts after sitting for a while. Maybe the filter is dirty and it can't pump enough fuel right off to get the pressure up but once it pumps for a bit it does. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge to hook up to the fuel rail, just try turning the key to the on position but don't start the car. This will activate the fuel pump. Let is pressurize for a bit, 20 -30 seconds just to try it out, then start the car. If it still hard starts this probably isn't the problem.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 13 May 2011, 05:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

0.055?!? Wow, I played with mine a little over three weeks ago and when I went past 0.052 idle went insanely rough. Just wanted a feel for how they performed, so it's down now to 0.035.
Old 17 May 2011, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I regapped the plugs and I tried the fuel pump thing mentioned above by leaving the key in the on position before starting...no change still has a hard time.

Plugs looked good for the most part one had a light coating of something...it looked wet, but wasn't oily and didn't smell like gas nor was there any burt residue...who knows?

Can't think what else would cause any problems except maybe low compression? I hope this isn't the case motor's a little young for that and I need the car to last at least another year.

Thanks for all the input.