Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Looking for the right one.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 May 2011, 01:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Looking for the right one.....

Hello everyone. I've been looking around the boards for a few days and want to say that this seems to be one of the best sites with some of the best people I've ever looked to be associated with.

With that said here's my question. I'm wanting to purchase a Pt Cruiser with the 215 HP Turbo engine. Am I safe to assume that the 03-05 GT is what I'm looking for??

My Mom had a 02 Limited (purchased new) loaded quite nice a while back but I believe the timing belt went out and they got rid of it to get a Highlander. Although those are nice she misses her Cruiser.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 22 May 2011, 01:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Looking for the right one.....

Welcome to the forum!

What's your goal/intent with this car?

Just looking for a cruiser with a little more 'go'?

Looking for something fully equipped?

Looking to modify it yourself? Or something already modified?

Should be a bit more specific so we can point you to the right direction. The 5-speed GT's are harder to come by. The 06-07 have the CANbus setup. Automatic-equipped GT's cringe at the sight of power, so it's stated NOT to boost at all in 4th(OD) EVER.

Btw, I've got my '03 up for sale on CL.
Old 22 May 2011, 01:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Well a Cruiser with a little more go. Minor engine mods. Filter, upgraded plugs, etc. Nothing major. Preferably Auto, roof, leather/suede mix on the seats. I'm wanting the 215 HP engine so i really don't have to add much.

It will be a daily driver as well as a family road trip, beach going car.
Old 22 May 2011, 01:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonstantMotionz View Post
Well a Cruiser with a little more go. Minor engine mods. Filter, upgraded plugs, etc. Nothing major. Preferably Auto, roof, leather/suede mix on the seats. I'm wanting the 215 HP engine so i really don't have to add much.

It will be a daily driver as well as a family road trip, beach going car.
'Filter', or better yet 'intake' consists of mainly dropping in a K&N filter and replacing the turbo to airbox pipe with an aftermarket one. Gets rid of the nasty bottle necks and flows better.

Any and everyone that comes to the site is suggested to replace their spark plugs and wires, especially the wires since they're crap from the factory.

Auto's are easy to come by, so that's settled.

The difference between the '03 and '04-'05 is; the '03 came stock with 527cc injectors. The '04-'05 came stock with 577cc injectors, also known as Stage 1 injectors.

I'll safely assume that the 04-05's tuning is a little different due to the injector upgrade. If one upgrade's to a Stage 1 PCM (hard to come by), an '03 will require the injector upgrade to 577cc's whereas the 04-07 don't since they come stock with them.

Also, the late '05 and up to '07 models came with the composite intake manifold and vanity cover. The composite intake mani flows alot better and much more efficiently.

Make sure that whoever you buy it from, took good care of it and always and only used full synthetic at every oil change. Not only that, I'd check to make sure said-owner has knowledge of turbo-charged vehicles because they do require a bit more care.
Old 22 May 2011, 02:04 am
Cool Cruiser

That's why I'm happy I'm here. You guys know your stuff. Thank you very much but so I'm clear it is the 03-05 GT's that have the 215 HP Turbo motor. Price is also a concern. Wanna stay $5000-$6000
Old 22 May 2011, 02:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
That's why I'm happy I'm here. You guys know your stuff. Thank you very much but so I'm clear it is the 03-05 GT's that have the 215 HP Turbo motor. Price is also a concern. Wanna stay $5000-$6000
Yep, and you should be able to find one in that price range. Of course condition/mileage/location will determine that.

A dream-series/platinum-series cruiser will yield slightly more so keep that in mind if you find one.
Old 22 May 2011, 02:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Looking for the right one.....

Thank you so much again. I'm in Houston, TX and doing as much research as I can. I plan to get a GT for myself and my wife wants a Convertible.
Old 22 May 2011, 02:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Search your local craigslist!

I was just in Killeen last year, which is where I got my PT GT. Got family out there.

I'm pretty damn sure we've got quite a few members around you as well.
Old 22 May 2011, 05:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
You can get what you're looking for as new as 2009. '09 will cost you 11-12k though. You won't need plugs or filters for this one, and you'll get factory 230hp. Hope you find your car!

2008 PT GT-R
Old 22 May 2011, 10:00 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm on Craigslist everyday, lol. Really everyday. I found a black 04 GT with 120k, no price listed, but I'm hoping to start off with less miles. I did find an 03 black GT exactly how I want it but its in Wisconsin. On Autotrader for $9900 and only 31k.

I'm partial to the 03-05 models. 06 and ups are nice just prefer those years for myself. My wife's may be an 06 or newer.