Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Size of oil plug?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2011, 06:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Size of oil plug?

Anyone happen to know what size oil plug is on an '03 PT GT Turbo? Need to replace mine since the genius at Pep Boys stripped it.
Old 25 May 2011, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Size of oil plug?

Wrench size is 13mm.
I don't know size of the threaded part.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 May 2011, 08:56 am
Young Cruiser

Yeah, I new it was 13mm but was wondering if anyone knew the tread size. Anyone?
Old 25 May 2011, 10:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

not sure but a auto parts store will know and usally have one on hand
Old 25 May 2011, 11:02 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm gonna say any decent auto parts store will have what you need on hand. If the "genius" at Pep Boys stripped it take it back there and make them fix it.

Stuff like this is why I always take my vehicles to the dealer for oil changes. It costs more but that way I know without a doubt that it's being done by a professional and not some 18 year old lube monkey. Plus if I have any problems the service manager is right there to hear my complaints.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you stripped the threads, you likely stripped the threads on the pan too, so using the same size is not going to help you out. Also the walls of the pan where the oil drain plug goes are so thin that you can't use the normal method of adding a threaded insert won't help you. Basically most people end up replacing the pan, which to me seems a bit of overkill. I'd personally get you a tap set, find you a bolt that is similar, maybe 1/2 mm larger, and tap out the hole, use an "s" washer on the bolt, and voila! You are good to go.

I've never had that problem with my PT but I did on my Aurora. Stupid me let a quick change oil place do my oil once and it leaked so much I finally put it up on a lift and looked at it. If I remember correctly the inner opening of the oil pan was like 21mm, and I tapped it out to 25mm and got a nice aluminum plug to fit it and never leaked again.
Old 25 May 2011, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

By the way, if you think you can fit a new plug back in it, I just checked at my dealership and it's only $4 for the plug. Just an fyi.
Old 25 May 2011, 05:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
If you stripped the threads, you likely stripped the threads on the pan too, so using the same size is not going to help you out.
That's a big stretch. Some idiot rounded the oil plug on my GT and when I finally got the SOB off the pan threads were just fine. I change all three cars now. Use a 13mm rachet wrench and you won't strip the oil plug.
Old 25 May 2011, 09:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
That's a big stretch. Some idiot rounded the oil plug on my GT and when I finally got the SOB off the pan threads were just fine. I change all three cars now. Use a 13mm rachet wrench and you won't strip the oil plug.
He's asking about thread size so it's an assumption that he's saying the threads are stripped. If it's just the head, then buy a new one, they are $4!!!
Old 26 May 2011, 07:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Picked up a new plug, tried it....threads fiine! We can close this baby down! Thanks for all the comments.