PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

How to install BOV on pt cruiser GT turbo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2011, 11:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile How to install BOV on pt cruiser GT turbo?

Hi, I just got my greddy type RS BOV and I just want to know if there's someone who can help me install it. I dont have any diagram or instructions. And also should I block the westgate or just leave it opened? This is for my PT cruiser GT turbo. Thanks a lot!
Old 24 May 2011, 11:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: How to install BOV on pt cruiser GT turbo?

Welcome!

First of all, do you have an aftermarket pipe where this will be attached to?

You can attach this to either;
1. Your hotside pipe
2. Your cold up-pipe

I personally chose my cold up-pipe. Here are some pics -

Now, it's really easy to hook one up so don't go cutting into things without knowing what you're doing. You need a vacuum source to tap into. Some people tap into their brake booster, which is what I used for my boost gauge, and others tap into their throttle body.

I did the latter of the two as you see here -

So again, where and how are you installing this? Make sure that whatever you decide to do, that you use the same type-flange as your pipe IE if you're going to weld the flange on your hot pipe, use an aluminum flange since the stock piping is aluminum. My up-pipe is mild-steel, so I had to order a steel flange separate in order to get it welded on.

Anymore questions, feel free to ask!

-Freddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 25 May 2011, 01:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply Freddy. I have the pipe where the BOV should be attached. awesome pics! I will attach it to cold pipe. My next question is do I need a block off plate on the westgate(that is attached to the turbo)? or just leave it as it is? Really appreciate your help buddy. Attached is the BOV I just got. not sure if this is good or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOV.jpg (47.8 KB, 75 views)
Old 25 May 2011, 02:11 am
Senior Cruiser

There's no right or wrong answer here, so I'll just tell you what I did.

I blocked off my stock surge valve.

I figured if I have a quality blow-off valve, why use the stock surge valve at all? No leaks anywhere and it runs and sounds like a champ!

As a recommendation, I'd block it off but you don't have to.

I see you have an adjustable blow-off valve. It'll take you a little bit in adjusting that thing but once it's setup you'll love knowing that your turbo isn't being spun backwards which can result in a bit of turbo lag as well as additional wear and tear.

Quote:
Old 25 May 2011, 02:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

If I don't block it will I get a compressor surge? how do I know if I'm getting a compressor surge? And where can I get the block off plate(I'll buy it soon)?
Old 25 May 2011, 02:31 am
Senior Cruiser

You shouldn't get much or any surge if your blow-off valve works the way it's supposed to.

You can find several on ebay or on forums IE local SRT Forum, SRTForums, PTCrew or this one itself.

You can also check out vendors such as needswings, pt-performance to name a few...honestly there are ALOT just google it.

Because I didn't have a block off plate, I actually used the blue Mopar 'blow-off plate' as a block. I installed it backwards and used a solid gasket and sealed off all edges completely. My HKS does all the work now.

Btw, if and when you use RTV Sealant make sure to give things about 3-4 hours to cure. Don't just slap the sealant on and put things right back together.

Quote:
Old 25 May 2011, 02:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks buddy! I'll take it to one of the performance shops here and have it installed and give it a try without a block off plate. If I'm getting a surge I will order the Block off plate and have it installed. Can't wait to hear the Psssshh sound on my GT. I'll get back to you if i got it installed or if I have questions. I appreciate your help!
Old 25 May 2011, 02:45 am
Senior Cruiser

No problem

Quote:
Old 25 May 2011, 05:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Clay View Post
If I don't block it will I get a compressor surge? how do I know if I'm getting a compressor surge? And where can I get the block off plate(I'll buy it soon)?
I ran my '03 GT with both the stock surge valve and a HKS SSQ bov and never had a problem. In fact, it was better because at low boost the stock surge valve went off and at high boost my HKS went off. I was told to this by a very knowledgeable speed shop owner.
Old 25 May 2011, 06:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Appreciate that. Hopefully my BOV will work good as I expected.