Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tranny Trouble V.2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2003, 04:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Tranny Trouble V.2.0

I changed the oil the other day and noticed another tranny leak.The first was the diff. cover slightly leaking, which the dealer said was actually an axle seal that they replaced.I brought it in today and this time they say that it's a solenoid pack seal.They are ordering the whole solenoid pack to replace and it should be in to the dealer by Tuesday.I'll let you know if I find out any more info, but thought I would pass this along.The car has right at 17k on it.
Old 28 Dec 2003, 12:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hey jack, good luck keep us posted!!
Old 28 Dec 2003, 06:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had a trans leak too. They replaced the solenoid seal and the trans pan gasket while they were at it. The pan still leaks at 13k miles. I need to get it back in there. I think it's good to change your own oil because you do see things that you wouldn't notice otherwise.
Old 28 Dec 2003, 09:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

When we removed the CV axle joint thingy, at least a cup of tranny fluid poured out. When I went to refill what was lost, the dipstick indicated it was full.... [:I]

Semi-off topic. I apologize

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 29 Dec 2003, 11:29 am
Senior Cruiser

No, it's relevant, Saki. Transmissions have always been kind of hit and miss as far as checking the fluid, at least for me.You have to make sure that the car is hot (like having been driven for at least 15 minutes per the owner's manual), and right before you check it, put it in each gear, ending up in Park.When you check it this way, it should be in the cross-hatched area of the dipstick that says 'Hot'. If you lost a cup, which is about as much as a pint, it should have read below that.When I checked mine after finding the leak, it did read low, by about a pint or two.Remember that unlike oil, when the tranny is low, you usually replace lost fluid in pints rather than quarts.If you dump a quart in there when it reads low, you'll end up over filling it.

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 30 Dec 2003, 02:43 am
Regular Cruiser

I have a tranny leak also, it took 4 trips to 3 different dealers to get it done right. I haven't check, but will do on my next oil change. First was the pan gasket, than the pan bolts, follow by the the hoses and clamps and finally the solenoid pack. According to the mechanic I last talked with, it is common to DC vehicle to leak from the solenoid pack. Anyway they have a dye inside the tranny to track futures leaks.

Good Luck
Paul
Old 30 Dec 2003, 03:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Triple, when you say "diff." are you refering to a limited-slip-diferential?? i didn't think our GT's had those, only the SRT-4's???
Old 30 Dec 2003, 08:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TripleJackInGA

No, it's relevant, Saki. Transmissions have always been kind of hit and miss as far as checking the fluid, at least for me.You have to make sure that the car is hot (like having been driven for at least 15 minutes per the owner's manual), and right before you check it, put it in each gear, ending up in Park.When you check it this way, it should be in the cross-hatched area of the dipstick that says 'Hot'. If you lost a cup, which is about as much as a pint, it should have read below that.When I checked mine after finding the leak, it did read low, by about a pint or two.Remember that unlike oil, when the tranny is low, you usually replace lost fluid in pints rather than quarts.If you dump a quart in there when it reads low, you'll end up over filling it.

Werd. The car had been in park for about 6 hours but I didnt try the putting it into each gear then finally park. Ill try it.
I thank you.

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 31 Dec 2003, 01:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

COP - When I say 'diff.', I mean the differential.Not a LSD or anything.Just an abbreviation.

Saki - If you look in your Owner's Manual it tells you exactly how to check the fluid, and to run it through all gears, ending in Park, then check it.

Update: I went to the dealer today and had the leak fixed.They replaced the Solenoid Pack as they had diagnosed earlier, however they ended up also tightening a cooling line where it attches to the transmission.I haven't had a chance to get the car on a lift to see exactly which one, but they said they had to remove the Air Box, Battery & Battery Tray to get to it, as it was apparently the true cause of the leak.

I hope you guys and gals have a great New Year's Eve, and stay safe!

\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

www.cybermopar.com

TripleJack
Old 31 Dec 2003, 01:50 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Good to hear everything has been fixed. Happy New Year to you TripleJack.

2002 Inferno Red PT Limited
Photos and more at: http://www.randgraphics.org/PT_Cruiser/demos/index.htm
Mercedes Wiki