Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
diablo preditor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2011, 07:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default diablo preditor

Just ordered one for my pt anyone be able to tell me if it will make a big difference in gas mileage and hp
Old 03 Jun 2011, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: diablo preditor

It does on mine. Did you ask for the free custom 93 octane tune yet? Each new DSP get's one free. Go to DiabloSport's site and register it. They produce some great programs for the DSP. I have several that I run myself. I have what I call the 93DD, that's my daily driver, somewhat boosted 93 octane tune with increased voltage from the alternator, bit of added boost and some other fiddle farting around. Then I have the 93HWY tune, that is for long trips. When I drove to Florida, I got 28mpg on average!!!! Doing 85 and 90 mph all the way there, 10 hours!!! Then I have the 101 Tune, which is my race tune.

You can play with the tune a bit, however, do not do anything with your timing, with AFR, spark, anything to do with running the motor. You can do some tiny adjustments, but unless you are on the strip, or doing pulls on a quiet road, or best to be on a dyno, then you can really eff up your motor.

Some things are easy and I add them to every tune, for example all my tunes include increased output of my alternator (I don't remember the settings off top of my head, but all are the same but my race tune which takes it a half volt higher).

To make it really worth your time, you need a laptop to connect to. You can do your tune with just the DSP, then go find you an out of the way road, or like me a small private airfield where they let me do pulls on the runway. Interconnect your laptop to log your pulls, then you can see first hand where you need to tweak. AFR is one of THE MOST IMPORTANT settings. 14.7:1 is the target that you hear about all the time. That's what I would call the normal cruise AFR. You don't want to go tinkering around too much with AFR if you don't have your PT gauged. I don't but I run with my DSP for a week after every adjustment, logging my driving all over the place. It's actually better than trying to stare at a meter face while driving. Course, when I hit the track, all my gauges get installed again. No sense having them sitting on my dash when I'm not racing. Plus, makes my PT very stealthy without them.

So, that being said, you can go on a long trip and have your wife/gf/bf/bff drive while you read your DSP, and can tune while on the road, it's a hoot to do that! Wish my wife could drive a stick cause I'd have her drive while I tuned. I run from rest stop to rest stop, logging the entire trip, then spend about 20 minutes going over the data to see what I can tweak. Takes a lot of getting used to but join the forums at DiabloSport, they are a huge help!

Also, see if you have a drag strip with a tuner night. Moorseville Dragway has one, I think it's $25 for like 7 hours, as many pulls as you can make. If you do decide to take it to the track, empty everything out, wear long pants and good shoes, and take a helmet just in case, unless you call them first. All the tracks I run on, if you're running slower than 11 seconds no helmet is required. I think it's 11...lol... anyway, do a pull, let the car cool down completely while you look at the logged data. Do not do pulls back to back, you can tear up both the engine and tranny (voice of experience here - blew the clutch from running it too hot!).

Last edited by Chromenut; 03 Jun 2011 at 08:15 pm.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 08:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

I can't wait to get it so does it come with cables to hook it up to the computer and what not
Old 03 Jun 2011, 09:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I heard you need an A/F ratio gauge before you start playing with a DSP
Old 03 Jun 2011, 09:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsptgt View Post
I can't wait to get it so does it come with cables to hook it up to the computer and what not
Does not come with them, but you can buy them from eBay or where ever you bought your dsp. You can probably even get the cables needed at radioshack.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 03 Jun 2011, 10:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yep, you can get the cables at Radio Shack or any other such place.

As for an A/F ratio gauge, you mean Wideband.

I highly suggest that anyone that does any tuning to their vehicle get's a wideband.

You shouldn't toy with boost at all (unless you're lowering it) if you can't watch your A/F ratios and/or EGT's.

Too lean and POP goes your motor.

Too rich and you're just throwing fuel out the window.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

I really just going to use the 93 Oct tune not going to mess with anything else and how to u set a wide band gauge is it hard I already have a scrapyard boost gauge for now since I just moved out and had a son
Old 03 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yeah, I meant Wideband... I also heard even with the 93 tune you should need it.
Old 03 Jun 2011, 10:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Some people have run the 93 tune with out trouble, some have had trouble. Just keep a close eye and ear on your car.

I for one, de-tuned my Pt from the DSP until I get my wideband installed because on one spirited highway run I started hearing the car pinging. I immediately let off, pulled to the nearest safe spot and restored it to original back up. I will be installing my wideband soon, but until I do I'd rather play it safe.

At the same time I'm sure there are 100's of people that have run the DSP without any problems on the 93 tune that's on there.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 03 Jun 2011, 11:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

don't know if this helps, i just like to post video's in random spots lol jk