Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Correct Ignition Timing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2011, 12:04 am
Young Cruiser

Default Correct Ignition Timing

Can anyone tell me what the correct ignition timing for a pt gt should be at idle?
Old 07 Jun 2011, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Correct Ignition Timing

The timing is set by the computor so im not sure what you are asking???
Old 07 Jun 2011, 11:23 pm
Young Cruiser

My gt just doesnt have what it used to and i have a tool that shows the ignition timing advance and was wondering about the range i should look for to see if my timing is being retarded by the ecu for some reason. I have heard some people say that most manufacturers have a 'timing map', where it gives the normal timing advance for a certain map reading vs rpm?
Right now mine is giving +12 - +16 advance at idle.
Old 08 Jun 2011, 12:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_or_not_PT View Post
My gt just doesnt have what it used to and i have a tool that shows the ignition timing advance and was wondering about the range i should look for to see if my timing is being retarded by the ecu for some reason. I have heard some people say that most manufacturers have a 'timing map', where it gives the normal timing advance for a certain map reading vs rpm?
If by "My gt just doesnt have what it used to " you mean you are down on power, I would start somewhere else. There are many reasons this could be happening including boost leaks, poor state of tune, fouled injectors, vacuum leaks etc that are much more likely to be the cause than the timing. You are picking an issue that is really obscure and unlikely in todays computer controlled cars unless you are using some kind of tuner on it.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 08 Jun 2011, 12:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Im thinking Chromenut would ahve a good answer for this
Old 08 Jun 2011, 03:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I wouldn't worry much about timing. I would check on KR (knock retard) while under boost. Also check injector duty cycles and boost pressure.

Have you changed the plugs lately? On boosted cars a good set of properly gaped plugs can make a noticeable difference.
Old 08 Jun 2011, 05:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
I wouldn't worry much about timing. I would check on KR (knock retard) while under boost. Also check injector duty cycles and boost pressure.

Have you changed the plugs lately? On boosted cars a good set of properly gaped plugs can make a noticeable difference.
BadaBingo - exactly what I would suggest, along with all the normal things like get off dyno oil and go to Amsoil or similar, get a higher, free-flowing air filter, change plug wires, verify plug gap, etc. I could spend hours talking about knock retard and how much you can do with a DSP on this. Timing on the PT is a cumulative function of several settings and readings, and it's very sketchy to try and control timing by itself, it is mainly controlled by the computer and hacking timing is very risky.

Here's one benchmark for everyone to tell if your engine is well set up - idles smoothly at 750 rpm, hot and cold. Easy, cheesy. If your engine is idling smoothly at 750 rpm, leave it be. You can adjust things like boost levels, power out of your alternator, etc., that have little to no impact on idle, and you can play with those all day long to tweak your motor, but realistically, if you can get your motor to idle well at 750, you have established the base for beginning your mods.

As to your current timing settings, give me a bit to look up the specs and see if I can't comment back on that.

Last edited by Chromenut; 08 Jun 2011 at 05:16 pm.
Old 08 Jun 2011, 08:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
That sounds perfect!
Old 09 Jun 2011, 06:05 pm
Young Cruiser

If my timing is good, then the only other thing I see that looks possibly off is my long term fuel trim. Does it reset after the vehicle sets for a few days? I checked it 3 days ago and the LTFT was +9.5 after driving 30 miles nonstop, which seems high. The next time I drove it was today for about 4 miles and the LTFT was +1.6, then I drove it back home(4 miles) and the LTFT was up to +3.9, a pretty big jump for 4 miles.
Does this mean something is causing it to run too lean?
Old 11 Jun 2011, 02:42 pm
Young Cruiser

"Fuel trim is generally calculated by using a wide set of data values, including front O2 sensors, intake air temperature/pressure (or the more elegent air mass sensor), engine (coolant) temp, anti-knock sensors, engine load, throttle position (and change in throttle position), and even battery voltage can effect fuel trim. Long term fuel trim generally should not exceed +- 10%."

Last edited by CREWZIN; 10 Dec 2016 at 08:50 am.