Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 turbo vacuum/ oil loss question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jun 2011, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2007 turbo vacuum/ oil loss question

Hello, I hope somebody can shed a little light on this issue for me. My wife drives a 2007 pt turbo convertible with 84,000 miles, and about a week ago it started to puff white smoke out of the exhaust at start-up. While checking things out, I noticed it was about a half a quart low on oil, so I added some. A couple days later I noticed it was a quart and a half low, so I checked for leaks and found none. then it started losing, in one way or another, a half a quart about every 60-70 miles.
Tonight she pulled in and told me it was making a strange noise, I opened the hood and heard a kinda squealing type noise in the center engine compartment area. Trying to pin-point where the sound was coming from, I removed the oil fill cap, the noise immediately stopped and there seemed to be a rediculously high amount of vacuum through the filler cap.
I am wondering if the vacuum is normal, or if it is a symptom of a problem that is related to the oil loss. I am really hoping somebody can help me with this, this is the first turbo engine I have had experience with. Thank you,
Robert
Old 23 Jun 2011, 09:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 turbo vacuum/ oil loss question

You need to check around your turbo unit. If you've run nothing by dino oil in it, and if she's not following the proper cool down process for it, that turbo can be coking up and eating oil. If it's failing it will squeal like a dozen pigs. Also check your air box to see how much oil is getting pumped out of your crankcase. You have a makeup-air connection on the left side of the air box and a sponge to capture the oil. If you've just got some oil sitting in the bottom of the air box then it's not your engine pushing it out. If it's like really running with oil, you are really in trouble.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So should there be a tremendous amount of vacuum through the oil fill cap? It will just about pull the cap out of your hand. and when the cap is screwed in, there is a squealing sound, take it out and it stops.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 06:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So it turns out that the problem was the PCV valve, it failed and came apart. Thank you..
Old 24 Jun 2011, 06:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for getting back to us with the answer to your problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

no problem CREWZIN, I appreciate this forum being here to help folks, thank you.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 10:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: 2007 turbo vacuum/ oil loss question

I am having a similar problem with my 2005 2.4L Turbo Limited Edition. I have 76,000 miles on the car and when I start up the car a white puff of smoke comes out the exhaust pipe. I also smell a little burning oil when I have the A/C or vent on, but I have not been able to locate the source of the leak. I assume the oil may be dripping onto the exhaust somewhere and the fumes are sucked into the cabin through the vent.

I'm thinking the initial white puff of smoke could come from faulty valve seals or guides, but I'm not sure. I just bought this car used 3 days ago from a Chrysler dealer. I took it back to the dealer to see if they had any ideas and they changed the spark plugs and said "Some smoking is typical on Turbo engines" to which I wanted to reply, "If your Turbo cars on the lot smoked like this, you would never sell another vehicle..."

Any ideas?
Old 25 Jul 2011, 10:29 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Turbos don't smoke unless there is something wrong with them
Old 26 Jul 2011, 08:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Check your air filter. A clogged air filter will place an unusually high amount of vacuum on the compressor side. This in turn will draw oil from the bearing cavity through the turbo seal gap and into the compressor housing.

Chris-TU
Vienna, Austria Europe Office Now Open!
Home of the 2 Year Warranty PT Cruiser TurboCharger
Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com
http://www.turbosunleashed.com
602-76-BOOST
602-76-26678