Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > General Turbo Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turbo Timer. I want your input.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2011, 11:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Turbo Timer. I want your input.

I will be replacing the non-operational turbo from my GT soon and putting in one that works. From the forum here and many helpful people Ive talked to, Ive come to the conclusion that the original turbo was ruined because the turbo was not given adequate amout of time to cool before shut down after long trips and such (action by the previous owner). Well I dont want to fry my new baby, so Ive been looking into installing a Greddy Full Auto Turbo Timer III when I get the swap done. Do any of you have turbo timers? Any tips? Any advice? Anything you have to say, I'd appreciate knowing before I go spend another $100.00 on this car (Currently $1500.00 into it this month). Thanks.

-Tallahassee
Old 24 Jun 2011, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo Timer. I want your input.

well the turbo died beacuse it did not get enough oil to keep it cool and while the oil does stop flowing when the car is turned off my best bet would be to use a good Synthic oil and when you are getting close to where you are going just get out of it and give it time to cool on its own--im not sure but I dont think a person usally goes from a full on run to shutting the car off every time

If the car was using reg oil the small oil lines will get clogged and not allow enough oil to get to the turbo

just my 2cents
Old 24 Jun 2011, 11:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Let it idle for a couple of minutes B 4 shutting down. Save your $$$$'s for something else.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 24 Jun 2011, 12:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

From what I've been told, turbo timers are unnecessary in our vehicles.

Even on long trips you aren't going to be boosting all the time... so the turbo should be sufficiently cool by the time you arrive at your destination. Generally the 2-3 minutes you spend at low speed maneuvering in a parking lot or crawling through the neighborhood going home are enough for the turbo to cool down. So unless you are one of those guys who drives around WOT all the time I don't think it will be an issue.

If you are really concerned about it just idle for a minute or two in the parking space before shutting down.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 06:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Make sure to replace the oil line going to the turbo. I would bet it was clogged and even if it looks good, you will kill a new turbo quickly if you use the same line.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 10:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

new oil line when I got the replacement turbo. Already got that one.

2004 PT GT ATX: (Daily Driver) Airbox Mod w/ K&N Filter, Custom Intake Pipe, HKS BOV, Dejon Powerhouse UIP, Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Boost Guage, Oil Temp Guage, Air Fuel Ratio w Wideband, Reinforced OEM Motor Mounts, Ceramic Pads, Flameball Shifter (Ivory w/ Red Flame), Kenwood 12" w/ 800w Sony Xplod
Old 24 Jun 2011, 10:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to niel
Wink Re: Turbo Timer. I want your input.

Hi there... OK I got a Turbo timer on my PT and its one of those eBay Apexi imitation ones... the pen shaped one... and yes it works... I live in a fast city here people drive like if they are been chased... and I'm not a WOT guy, but sometimes you need to hit the gas and more if you have a turbo... your sometimes messing around and need to get out of the car to go to places and my car stays on idle for about 2 to 3 minutes and it cools down, and don't need to be waiting inside the car wen your friends or family are in the movies because you got late and everyone its hurry you up...2 times Ive need to go to the cinema alone and search for my buds because I was waiting in the PT lol... now I just let the car run by it self and its funny how people get all freak out because you let the car on... another thing ... this one I has a function that when you let off the parking brake the car will shut down, so no stolen car, another thing its that it has a function that will read the temperature of the O2 sensor and calculate the idle time for you, or if you want to preset one you can put the time you want... so that's my experience... the only thing is that I don't like to mess with electrical stuff in my car so a pro electrician guy made mine.... Cheerios

Daniel
Old 25 Jun 2011, 12:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Total waste of money for someone who knows how to drive a turbo car. Synthetic oil is a must and just plain common sense will allow your turbo to have a long life.
Old 25 Jun 2011, 12:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Only necessary if you're rushing somewhere quickly (boosting) and must absolutely get out of the car and off to wherever you need to be. How often does that happen?

Other than that, pretty much what GTMan said.If you don't like having to sit in your car to let the turbo cool down a bit, drive it like an old man/woman before arriving to your destination.
Old 25 Jun 2011, 08:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Use good synthetic oils and dont worry about it.

If you are getting on the throttle and have the turbo spooled up, if you park the car, let it idle for a minute.

Greddy(should be called GREADY) is just a Jap car parts maker for Ricers, they love to take peoples money LOL

I have been driving turbo cars since 1989 and have never had a issue with the turbo charger. Of Chrysler was the OEM who perfected this technology all others lag. I have always used synthetics.

Two things kill a turbo, non-synthetic oil and cheap air filters or leaky intake tracts. Use a good oil with reasonable drain intervals, and run good air filters. Keep the dust out of the compressor.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue